Topic: Graphic EQ's and Auto Group

There is a situation when using any Graphic EQ device with the Auto Group control device that results in a somewhat unexpected condition.

The situation:
I want to control several 1/3 oct. graphic EQ's with one set of controls.

The setup:
I drag all the 1/3 oct. EQ's into a block and add the Auto Group device.

The strange situation:
After Emulating, when I grab any one fader in any of the EQ's, the fader I grab and the one next to it both move together in all the EQ's.

Why this happens:
If you do a "Ctrl+q" and show the tabs on any Graphic EQ device, you will find that it is a composite device that is made up of two DSP objects. One DSP object is labeled "even bands" and another DSP object is labeled "odd bands". Within each of these DSP objects are the various gain control adjustments for the respective bands, however in each DSP object each band has the RUID "Band Gain 1" so when the controls are all copied out to the control page, you end up with two controls next to one another that each have the RUID "Band Gain 1". Thus when you add an Auto Group device to this page, all the RUIDs "Band Gain 1" will operate together.

Current work-around:
Currently the only way to really make each fader control in the Graphic EQ devices operate as they should in this situation is to copy all the controls to a 3rd page and peer wire them all together. 

The proper fix:
The ideal fix for this situation would be to set the RUIDs in the "odd bands" DSP object to "Band Gain 1", "Band Gain 3", "Band Gain 5", etc... and to set the RUIDS in the "even bands" DSP object to "Band Gain 2", "Band Gain 4", "Band Gain 6", etc. this way, when all the controls are combined on the control page, for a 1/3 oct EQ the controls would actually have the RUIDs "Band Gain 1" through "Band Gain 32", rather than having two each of "Band Gain 1" through "Band Gain 16".

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios