Topic: Issue with Ambient Noise sensing leveler feature in Nware 1.4.1

Hello, I am having an issue with the Ambient Noise Sensing Function in Nware 1.4.1 The function raises the volume too quickly, for example, if  their is a cackle of laughter, the volume will raise quickly and  then lower quickly. I have set the attack/20dB to 20 seconds, the release/20dB for 15 seconds, the min gain to -12 dB , the max gain to 12 dB, the amb thresh level to -12 dB. The sense time rms is set to 30.5 seconds, the sense hp fre to 200, the speaker hp freq to 200.

The leveler has been calibrated and finishes calibration successful, if I could get some advanced elp on how to set this up, and how the function works I would REALLY appreciate it, there is no to little documentation on this function.

Re: Issue with Ambient Noise sensing leveler feature in Nware 1.4.1

Hi Micah-

As I mentioned to you on the telephone today, I suspect that you simply need to increase the "Sense RMS Time" under the "Ambient" section of the device. I know this knob comes out of the box set to 5 seconds and is adjustable up to 100 seconds. I would also fiddle around with the "Attack Time / 20dB" knob as 20 seconds may be too fast for your liking.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Re: Issue with Ambient Noise sensing leveler feature in Nware 1.4.1

Couple things that I would add to Josh's comments;

You are about on target for the attack time, but I would shorten the release time to about 3 to 5 seconds.  Keep in mind that the RMS time is already creating an "average" level for 30.5 seconds, so you want the release to be much quicker than the attack.  It is like talking loud at a party, and suddenly the music stops, but you don't.  It will be about 5 to 10 seconds before average drops enough for the sensor to react, plus the release time.  But I would still keep the attack time long, because you don't want the gain to get ahead of the ambient level.

The other is to change the ratio.  I have found that a ratio of .5 to .75 works well with a background music system.

Also, I would set the max gain to 6 dB or less.  12 is pretty aggressive, and normally would only be used with paging in an industrial install (a cold storage warehouse, where you have massive chillers coming on and off, also this is where I would leave the ratio at 1 or better).

A word of advice that may not help you with this install (because of a lack of time), but may help others.  The first time I used this device, I set up two speakers and a couple of mics and simulated the install in my office.  I "played" with this for about 2 weeks, off and on, learning how it worked where I could listen to how the controls impacted performance.  Then, when I got on site, it still took about 2 to 3 hours to set the first zone.  Once I learned what control settings would work EXACTLY how the customer wanted the system to work for this first zone, it took about 20 minutes for each additional zone.  Some minor tweaks over the next couple of days, adjusting the min/max gain etc., and the client was happy.

ALS is a BIG, POWERFUL algorithm, and it will take some learning and time to get it right.

Micah, for this install, you are really going to need to be on floor so you can HEAR how the controls are working.  You are on the right track, and I think you are close to having it right, so have patience.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.