Topic: nion nE with three cab16i and one cab16o... how?

Is it possible to use a nion nE to control 3 cab16i input devices and 1 cab16o output?

This makes 3*16 = 48 input channels
and 16 output channels.

I need to create a setup kind of similar to an "audio matrix".
Signals do not have to be mixed with each other, so basically I need a maximum of 16 different input signals at a given time.
The selection of the 16 signals will have to be controlled externally and can be from any of the 48 input channels.

If these 48 channels are possible, is it possible in addition to use the input cards on the nion nE for extra inputs?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by zerkalo (2014-10-22 14:48:22)

Re: nion nE with three cab16i and one cab16o... how?

It is possible for the NION to control four CAB devices at the same time. This is not a problem.

However, the NION may only receive up to 32 input channels at one time. It can simultaneously transmit 32 output channels.

So, if you only need 16 channels coming in at a time, you can turn on and off the CobraNet bundles being transmitted by the CAB 16i's as needed to get the channels you actually want to use into the system at a given time. This is essentially like having a patchbay built into the network. It is very powerful and very flexible.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

So essentially I need to change the CM-1 input bundles.
As far as I understand, it's 8 channels at a time?

So it's not possible to route audio from 5 different inputs like this:
channel 1 from cab16i 1
channel 9 from cab16i 1
channel 1 from cab16i 2
channel 9 from cab16i 2
channel 1 from cab16i 3

Instead I can select any channels from only 4 incoming 8channel bundles at a given time.

This is ok for the application, but it is also needed to be controllable externally.
Can I change the incoming bundles via an external protocol like RATC/Pasha?

For example, can I change the "fourth" incoming bundle number?

Last edited by zerkalo (2014-10-23 07:17:49)

zerkalo wrote:

So essentially I need to change the CM-1 input bundles.
As far as I understand, it's 8 channels at a time?

If you use advanced CobraNet configuration on the NION and CABs, you can adjust almost as much as you could want.

zerkalo wrote:

So it's not possible to route audio from 5 different inputs like this:
channel 1 from cab16i 1
channel 9 from cab16i 1
channel 1 from cab16i 2
channel 9 from cab16i 2
channel 1 from cab16i 3

It is absolutely possible to do that. Your NION can receive up to 16 bundles in Advanced CobraNet mode, but you must keep the channel count to no more than 32 channels.

zerkalo wrote:

Instead I can select any channels from only 4 incoming 8channel bundles at a given time.

You can select any combination of inputs on any of the three CABs you wish, as long as you do not need more than 32 channels at one time. Please see the attached image that shows how to set up the CABs and the NION to transmit the exact configuration you described above.

zerkalo wrote:

This is ok for the application, but it is also needed to be controllable externally.
Can I change the incoming bundles via an external protocol like RATC/Pasha?

For example, can I change the "fourth" incoming bundle number?

Any control in NWare can be manipulated by an external control system. All you need to do is to assign a Control Alias to the controls you wish to manipulate and then you can send them whatever values you would like them to have. You could easily use this to manipulate the bundle numbers and subchannel configurations on the fly.

If you have some specific configurations that you want to use over and over again, it may be advantageous to set up some Snapshots or SubPresets and store these configurations in the NION. Then you can just recall the configurations you want by loading a Snapshot or recalling a SubPreset.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon AdvancedSubchannelMappingExplained.jpg 443.86 kb, 394 downloads since 2014-10-23 

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios