Topic: Third party serial control

Hi

I try to control third party equipment via serial port (RS-232). Unfortunately the third party device needs to be addressed binary, means the command I have to send contains values like 0x00. The Comms Processor (fed by Live Python) does not compile those values and throws an invalid character exception.

Does anyone know a workaround for sending binary values via serial port?
Is there anything planned like a "Binary Comms Processor" in future?
Is it possible to integrate the PySerial module in order to write directly to the serial port?

Thanks for ideas.

Regards Roman

Re: Third party serial control

Greetings Roman!

You can send hexadecimal values in the format of 0x00 by removing the prefix "0x" and replacing it with a "#". This is documented in the NWare Device Reference for the Comms Processor, though you need to click through to the part that discusses the actual device controls.

This is the actual text from that page:

Non-printable characters can be represented using hex values in the format #xx, where xx is a valid hexadecimal value. For example, #0D matches a carriage return, #0A matches a line feed and ## represents a hash character.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Re: Third party serial control

Hi Josh

Great, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I was to less patient reading every section carefully.

Roman