Topic: 2 XDAB masters in the same cluster?!?!?!?!?!?! FML!

Setup:

3 NioNode N3 named DSP 1, DSP 2, DSP 3

They are all connected through XDAB with DSP 1 having highest XDAB priority.

Yet on the front panel DSP 1 & 3 have flashing green XDAB LED's which suggests they are both operating as a master.

I'll be honest, I wasn't too bothered by this but this particular cluster send out Cobranet to about 13 CAB4n devices and I'm having issues with audio received at one of those 4n's so wanted to eliminate this issue before I move on.

Just throwing this one out there - a beer to the person that can help make sense of it lol

Rich

It already sounds better

Re: 2 XDAB masters in the same cluster?!?!?!?!?!?! FML!

No, that means that Redundent XDAB ring is not in place.  If you look at the Remote Logs of the NIONs, you will probably find that the two NIONs say "XDAB in failed redundent mode", or something like that.

Add the XDAB cable to complete the ring, re-deploy, and these should turn to steady green.

Send beer to 5022 Hartley Peavey Dr...Attn Fergy  LOL

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

But XDAB is wired Correctly?!? I'll check the cabling tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's all wired
Properly.

Beer is on it's way regardless.

On the issues with cobranet audio at the CAB4n, turns out it was a bad fibre patch cable. Another brick thrown at the new network installer. It was "tested" apparently. LIES!!!!

It already sounds better

I've checked the cabling - all seems to be good. An both LED's are lit green on the RJ45 sockets of each XDAB IN/OUT port.

Stump'd

It already sounds better

r.kemp wrote:

I've checked the cabling - all seems to be good. An both LED's are lit green on the RJ45 sockets of each XDAB IN/OUT port.

Stump'd

Just to be certain, the XDAB is wired as such:
DSP1 Out to DSP 2 In
DSP 2 Out to DSP 3 In
DSP 3 Out to DSP 1 In

Also:
You are only using the XDAB cables that were provided with the NIONs right?
It is extremely rare that field assembled cables are able to meet the tolerances required for the XDAB interface.
The combined total length of the XDAB cables is less than 40 feet, right?

Good luck!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Checked all the wiring Josh - it's as you say. I only ever use the cables supplied for XDAB and in the case of not having any order the very same from Peavey.

Im stumped….

It already sounds better

It could be a bad XDAB cable or it could be a bad XDAB port.

I would mark all the cables somehow and rotate them through the wiring to see if the problem moves from one location to another, but keep wiring the stack the same way.

Then, if all the cables are able to test as "Good", then start reconfiguring the wiring of the stack to determine if it is one of the ports.

I generally suspect the cables because they are subject to interference from the outside world. You know things like people's hands or wire ties twisting and kinking the cables when they tie the cables down to something. However, you should be able to troubleshoot your way through this to determine if it is a cable or a port issue, then we can get you a replacement cable or get the NION with a bad port repaired.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Just for fun, what happens if you set all the XDAB master priorities to factory defaults (0...1) and let them auto-negotiate? Try it with the CobraNet modules, too. The value should be 64...65.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates