Topic: Time sync with internet time server. (about 30sec. difference)

Hi everyone

I am some issue about time sync with internet time server.

I am using two N3 with time schedule function for auto opening/closing music plays.
I set one nion with the time as a time server sync, the other as normal.
But the time is not sync right.. there are about 30sec difference.

so i set the schedule 30sec earlier to make it equal..

Two nions are running with nware 1.6.5

Is this normal??

Re: Time sync with internet time server. (about 30sec. difference)

I noticed the same thing too. My Master Nion is set to Time Server and it and all Nions run about 30 seconds behind internet time. All other machines in Normal mode sync to the Master fine, so all my Nions are behind.  I have my gateway set and I know other computers on that subnet can get to the time server our company has, but when I refresh the web page, the time is 30 seconds or so behind our time server.

Nware 1.65
Nion N6

Thanks
Gary

I've also noticed a similar time discrepancy between nTouch180 and NIONs.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

I tried a little experiment with two Nions, both running 1.6.5 firmware and both running no roles.

I put both in Normal time sync mode and then changed the time to be very different on one NION and saw the other track the new ime instantly. I tried this with both units and the time always updated properly.

I then set one unit  to be master and changed its time and the other Normal mode device tracked instantly.
Then I changed the Master to NTP mode and specified an NTP server. The NTP device time then updated to the correct time right away and the Normal device also tracked that update instantly.

In short, I found no problems at all.

Can anyone having this problem provide more data?
There is obviuosly something different between my test setup and those seeing the reported problem
How many devices are in the net? What kind of projects are running?
Any non-standard settings of any sort?
There is obviously a difference in test setups that we must identify in ordere to reproduce and anlyze the problem.
Can anyone attach a project file under which this problem is seen?
Or send it to me.. sgray@peavey-eu.com

Also, can anyone who has the problem try reproducing my scenario? (2 NIONS, 1.6.5, no roles)

Nihilism is best done by professionals

we have 3 Nion's and they all sync to each other fine. The Nion that is set for Time Server is behind NTP time about 30 seconds. We are running our own time server in our network and that is connected to an NTP server. when I run a clock program that tracks to our NTP, it is sync'ed correctly but the Nion Time Server master lags behind.

Steve - I can send you my file if you want.

Thanks
Gary

Steve,

I don't think this has anything to do with the NIONs sync'ing to each other... I think it has everything to do with the NIONs sync'ing to the outside world AND nTouch 180 and nControl devices. I have long noted that the NIONs lag behind an nTouch 180 or nControl by less than 30 seconds. I would suggest getting some sort of NTP clock on your network and then have the NIONs sync to NTP... you will probably notice that the NIONs lag the NTP by 20-30 seconds.

Thanks,
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi Josh,

Yes. I verified that. The issue is indedd syncing to the NTP server, not between MediaMatrix devices.
I have wrtten this up iternally and it should be fixed in the next software release.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Steve

Nihilism is best done by professionals

While we're looking at the time of day issues, could somebody investigate WHY the NION clocks lose time so badly?
Yes, I know that it would be better to use NTP, but this is not possible on all sites, especially smaller ones.
Just a crazy thought, as the NIONs don't seem to handle time right (viz. 30ish sec behind nTouch180, nControl, NTP), could it be that they drop the 30 sec every day (or some other recurring interval)?
Any progress on this?

Last edited by phils (2015-08-06 23:10:18)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

A different twist on this issue - in our one theatre, we have 10 Nion's on our network, and they are ahead by about 40 seconds from the time server and our other theatre is behind. Weird.

I am running 1.7.0 and my Nion's are still not in sync with a NTP time server. They are running ahead. I thought this was supposed to be fixed??

Has this been confirmed fixed? Digging up an old issue here. We use an IP address as the time server and it still seems out of sync from the NTP server.

Our system is now about 1min 15 slow. the IT guys say the time server is syncing correct and when I change or delete the date on the master Nion, it puts the correct date back in so it is talking to the time server correct.

This thread was brought to my attention today, and I wanted to bring it up-to-date.

With NWare 2.0, if you set the time to be NTP from the Web Interface, the time will track properly. Before, there had been an offset of about 30 seconds. This was a problem with how the NION dealt with the occasional Leap Second...

There is still a problem with manually adjusting the time from the front panel that will be addressed with the next version of NWare.

Fergy

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Thanks Fergy,
Glad I haven't been holding my breath, but glad it's on the radar.
Cheers,
Phil

- George Bernard Shaw

Hi Fergy

We have 6 Nion's in our network with 1 set to a time server and the other 5 set to normal. All the normal ones are ahead still by 30 secs or so but the 1 set to connect to the time server is fine. Can I set them all to connect to the time server?

To answer your question; No, don't do that.  You would have all of the NIONs trying to sync to the NTS, then sync to each other ALL THE TIME, which could cause problems.

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.