Topic: Original X Frame - No input/output.

Hi

I recently picked up an old, original, 2-in/4-out 2U X Frame system and I'm having a few problems with it. I've downloaded X-Ware 1.3, have connected an old PC to the X Frame, and I can connect to it and program it without any problem. The issue I'm having is that there is no input and almost no output.

I want to use the X Frame in a small pub/club and have created a simple system which takes a stereo feed from the DJ desk and splits it into a stereo feed with EQ to the dance floor, a mono filtered feed to the sub, and a mono feed with EQ and delay for some smaller satellite speakers. I've put 'Peak A' and 'Peak B' meters for the input and output signal level respectively, but the meter shows no input level at all.

Just in case the input stage had somehow died, I created a simple system which sent a sine wave to all four outputs and showed full signal level on the output meter. By turning the amps up full I could just about hear a very faint tone in the background, but there was also a lot of noise in the signal as well.

I know that unlike the X Frame 88, the original X Frame does not have software control of the gain settings so I took the lid off my X Frame to see if there were any jumpers which I could use to alter the gain. Looking at the circuit board with the control panel facing towards me I found four pairs of 6-pin jumper blocks on the left, which I assume are for the outputs, and two other jumper blocks in the top left corner, which I assume are for the input gain levels. However there was no legend or diagram to say how the jumpers should be set, so I left well alone.

Am I right in assuming that the jumper blocks control gain, and if so, does anyone have a copy of a manual which would tell me how to set the jumpers correctly? Failing that I do have a BoB which I could use, but I'd rather not have to find another 2U of rack space if I don't have to.

Thanks

Mark

Re: Original X Frame - No input/output.

The output level on those original BoBs is controllable by jumpers, I'll see if I can find that paper again, don't know if it applies to outputs on the actual X-Frame.

If the levels are that low I would go so far as to say the output stages are probably dead, but I would make sure that your output levels on the software control are set at 0 db for starters... Also make sure that your wiring to the amps is correct with respect to +/-/shield...

Good to see another user of the original x-frames, I thought I was the only person relying on 10+ year old DSPs still haha.

There's nothing wrong with 10 year old DSP. If it works, keep using it! I have replaced the Lithium battery though, as old batteries have a tendency to leak corrosive acids all over the PCB when they die. Better safe than sorry. I've also got an X Frame 88 which will probably end up controlling the audio when we switch over to digital cinema at work.

I've found a PDF with the BoB jumper settings, and they bear no resemblance to the way the jumpers are currently laid out inside my X Frame. Maybe that's why it wasn't working. It isn't just the output stage that isn't working, its the input stage as well.

Now that I've found out where the jumpers should be, I think I'll try moving them around and see what happens. I'd be amazed if the circuitry for the input/output stages is significantly different in the X Frame and the BoB, so the jumper positions should be the same as well.

To whoever it was that emailed me on Friday, unfortunately my machine crashed and I lost your email. Thanks for getting in touch though. If you have any luck finding a manual for the X Frame it would be great if you could post it here.

Thanks

I am sending you an email attaching a copy of the slides from a powerpoint presentation that show
the I/O jumper layout.  You can confirm if they are the same as the .pdf you have.

Since the box is well over 10 years old, my concern is that you have board components
that are having problems. (caps, opamps, A/D D/A converters, etc.)

It was myself that emailed you Mark .

Ahh, you beat me to it Duane - I was just about to send a couple of pics and a copy of a circuit diagram.

I can still do this if it helps though.

Cheers,

Lee

Duane wrote:

Since the box is well over 10 years old, my concern is that you have board components that are having problems. (caps, opamps, A/D D/A converters, etc.)

I will vouch that this needs to be a consideration... Additionally, components of that age can go at any time, so make sure you have a backup plan in place as well. I actually was using 2 seperate X-Frames at the beginning of this summer, I'm down to one because one of the DSP chips died. Fortunately it was on a less critical system and was easily worked around when it happened.