Topic: Project Linking

I've got me head around the Read v Write directions (take the Client's point of view at both ends), and have working systems, but I'm unsure of "best practice" on this:

Which "end" should be Server, and which Client?

I have a system with 5 (so far) separate projects; 1 project hosts Kiosk user controls, which then Project Link to the other 4 systems, using 4x Project Links. Currently 4x Servers are at the User Interface end, with Clients in each of the remote projects.

Also, has anybody bumped into maximum numbers of contols on Project Links, either in terms of NIONs or network?

Thanks

Last edited by phils (2011-09-10 01:52:54)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Project Linking

Doesn't matter, though I usually put  my server in the middle, and the clients on the edge...Just like you did.

Watch the CPU usage, if you think it may be a problem, go to the clients and change the polling time....maybe from 100ms (10 time a second) to 200ms (5 times per second).  Check that the controls are still responsive enough.

If your CPU at the core is OK, my guess is the network is OK as well, but you should check the numbers on the switch.

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Re: Project Linking

This particular site has now grown from 5 NWare projects to 11 spread around the site, and we've finally got them to add  an nTouch180, purely for the nControl capability.
The plan is to move the Kiosk-hosting centre of the universe to nControl, along with the Project Links to/from all the individual NION projects.
Before we finalise all the Nware rework, I just though I'd check whether anybody (Scott, you're allowed a second go wink ) has any thoughts on whether it's better to have multiple Servers or multiple Clients on the nControl device?
Which represents the higher load on the CPU?

Thanks

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw