Topic: CAB8o & CAB8i autonomous operation?

Is there any way I can use a pair of Mediamatrix boxes (CAB-8o & CAB-8i) as a simple 8 channel line level link via Ethernet without having a DSP engine (in my case a MF280). I simply want to use these boxes as a "digital snake". I can achieve what I want by setting up the link with the MF280, then unplugging the MF280 but the CABs loose connection if there is a power interruption
Rgds
Mike

Last edited by moby (2012-03-18 03:15:14)

Re: CAB8o & CAB8i autonomous operation?

I've done this by setting PERSISTENCE via CobraNet Discovery.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

I have tried running Disco 3.4.5 and enabling "Advanced" in the configuration applet, but whenever I try to run "Advanced" on the bundle (which is shown up and running) I get the popup "Could not initialize advanced dialog", thus I cannot enable the persistence switch. Disco seems to be running correctly and identifying everything on the network, I cannot find any line setting (or not setting) "Advanced" in the Disco init file.
Cheers
M

If your cndisco.ini has this in it, then I don't know.

[configuration]
advanced feature=1

If not, maybe try adding it manually.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Yes, it's a mystery. I've put a screenshot of what's going on + part of the ini file being used
here :
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/disco.JPG
In case anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong
Cheers
M

Do you have trouble using the advanced mode if you try to access any other CobraNet devices, in particular a NION or a CAB4n?  If so then then the default timeouts and retries in Disco may not be set correctly for your net conditions. By default they prettyy much never are set right. YOu can acces them (assuming a 4.x.x rev of Disco) from the Tools | Preference menu
The default timeout is 1500, which is way too long. Change it to 100 or 200 and increase the timeouts from 2 to some larger number. The holdoff shoudl be OK and usually affects writes more than reads.

If you can ccess a NION or CAB4n OK but not the CAB8i or 8n then the problem may be an incompatibility between the CAB8i/o and Disco. These are fully compliant CobraNet designs based on a referecne design from Cirrus loginc but are not purchased from Cirrus Logic as are the CM-1 and CM-2 modules. There could be some small difference accounting for the communications problem.

In the worst case you can always use a MIB browser to access all of the SNMP variables (OIDs) directly in any CobraNet device, but should NEVER do that without a good reason and a STRONG understanding of what you are doing and its consequences.

Try the above and lyt me know what happens.

Nihilism is best done by professionals