Topic: ntouch 180 access 2nd nic from python

I have a client wanting to combine some lighting and audio control on a touch panel.
They are on 2 separate networks.
Is it possible to access both nics on the notuch 180 from a python script.
Client wants to keep the DMX and audio control separate and does not wish to add a router.
Tom F.

Re: ntouch 180 access 2nd nic from python

Hi Tom,

If the communication is via IP, then it certainly should work without an issue. You would just need to be sure to configure both Ethernet ports on the nTouch 180 for communication on their respective networks. Remember, the port adjacent to the USB ports is #1 and the port adjacent to the serial port is #2.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Thanks Josh,

To clarify; I do not need to specify a nic in the python script?
The telnet client will determine the correct nic from the IP address when I connect?
Tom F.

Hi Tom,

If you are using Python and if you are specifying an IP address, the nTouch 180 should be able to decipher which NIC to use automatically. However, I've not personally tested this so your mileage may vary and all those fun disclaimers.

This is, of course, assuming that each of the network ports are configured with different settings for different subnets.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Once again MediaMatrix rocks!

Had a little trouble at first.  Not sure if it made a difference but when I set the 2nd nic from the n180 web interface Network page it seemed to start working the way I wanted it to.

Tom F.

Yes, it is important to configure that second network interface from the network web page. Once both of the network interfaces are set up all should work as expected.

I'm glad to hear that it is up and running for you, Tom!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios