Topic: Nware and RCS

I've started using a revision control system to track changes to project software and media, including Nware projects. For obvious reasons the RCS system gets interested when files change, usually because someone has indeed made some modification, however, I have noticed some weird behavior from Nware with respect to when it alters the .npa archive. For example if I open a file, make no changes whatsoever, and just simply deploy, the file is modified and I believe a .bak file is even created. Why is the file being modified if no changes have been made? I just opened, deployed, and closed Nware.

Another similar issue occurs when trying to go online. Say I open a particular revision of the software, lets say version A, and deploy it. The modified file caused by deployment is not committed to the repository because nothing has changed, only deployed. Now I go on and work on other things and make later revisions(B, C, D...), if I revert(checkout) the version that was deployed, version A, it will not go online. Nware just sits there listing all NioNodes as discovering.

Re: Nware and RCS

When you deply, there is a manifest file embedded in the NWare project archive (NPA) that gets modified.  This is how the 'auto deploy countdown' can remember the NioNode to role relationships, the deploy comments, etc.  While the DSP and Control of the file has not changed, the manifest has.  It is a bit of a pain maybe we can brainstorm a different approach to saving that info?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Nware and RCS

I understand the host-role mapping, but why is it updates when the mapping hasn't. In my instance nothing has changed since the previous deploy; same hosts are executing the same roles.