Topic: Automated flyoff editing

I have an itch that requires me to modify a large amount of flyoffs in a repeatable manner. To give some background information, there are several multichannel source devices which refer to their outputs numerically starting at zero, however whoever built the Nion file assigned flyoffs starting at one. So, for example, device foo, channel 3 is accessed via the flyoff IN.foo.4. As you can imagine this is highly undesirable.

As it is, these flyoffs are quite numerous and spread throughout the file. Manually fixing this off by one issue would be extremely time consuming and hugely error prone; I would prefer an automated solution. Some sniffing around reveals that flyoff names can be found in the data.pdn, Operations.1.page.dat, and Operations.2.page.dat. Unfortunately these are not plain text files, but the flyoff name is stored as text. If a search and replace function was applied to these files, and the archive tarred back up, is that all there is to it?

Re: Automated flyoff editing

That is a good question, Jason! I don't have any idea if that would work, but I would be interested to hear if you have any success in trying it!

Obviously you need to make a safe back-up of your file in case it all goes horribly wrong.

Please let us know what you find out!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Without seeing the file, wouldn't a combination of "replace text" (CNTL+8) and/or expression labeling do the trick?

Thanks,

Joe

It isn't a straight search/replace. FOO.IN1 becomes FOO.IN0, FOO.IN10 to FOO.IN9, etc. Expression labeling would work where they are fed because they are all together and can be selected as a group, but the far side of the flyoffs is all over the place.