Topic: Compiling n6 projects

I'm working on a project with a couple n6 nodes and ran up against the compiler failing due to overfull DSP memory on some chips. Upon looking at the compile report I noticed that the compiler never seemed to place anything beyond what seems to be the 6.10% quiescent load on chips D, E, or F. It would use the first three chips exclusively and until exhaustion, but never the latter three. I didn't have time to mess around with this a lot, but was wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

Re: Compiling n6 projects

I have seen something similar to this,maybe 2 or 3 years ago. The thing is I can't seem to find much information in my archives regarding this project...
Anyway, from what I remember this certain project was failing due to the compiler exhausting one of the SHARC's(DSP Usage), Engineering studied the
npa and found that a Graphic EQ within the project was costing more DSP cycles than it should have been,as I remember we had to replace a .cyc file
under plugins\pion\devices\imp\cost_cyc with a new modified file fixing the Compiler so to speak.

You may have a similar Issue,but with Cost Memory(cost_mem).

In any case I would send the npa file to your authorised MediaMatrix Tech Support Center,Josh and co in Meridian I guess for further examination.

All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

Re: Compiling n6 projects

Jason-

I hate to point to the obvious, but it almost sounds like your project thinks that the NION is an n3 and not an n6. However, if it were configured as an n3, you would not get anything in the Compile Results for the last three DSP chips, so without a lot more in depth investigation, it is tough to say what is going on with this project.

-What version of NWare are you using?
-Was the project started in that version?
-If you changed versions, did you "Update all out of date devices"? 
-What happens if you try to compile this project with a different version of NWare on that same computer?
-What happens if you try to compile this project on a different computer with the same version of NWare?
-What happens if you try to compile this project on a different computer with a different version of NWare?

NWare ProTip:
If you are having issues running out of DSP but have plenty of memory, or you have plenty of DSP but are running out of memory, you can adjust the "Processing vector length, samples" to compensate. The default setting is 8, which is a setting to the middle of the range. Lower vector length will utilize more DSP resources but free up some memory resources while higher vector lengths will reduce DSP usage at the expense of additional memory usage.

This setting is found here: File>Project Properties>Processing vector length, samples

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios