Topic: Pandad via Vlan

I have a mock up set up in the workshop for testing, I have a venue with two HP 2610 switches (venue), these are on there own Vlan-Subnet, both of these switches connect to a central switch, (another 2610 for this test) thes is on another vlan.

The Nions are running in the venue all is Ok, I can see the Kiosk pages etc. when I connect a PC to the central switch and set up pandad in interactive mode to see across the Subnet-Vlan I can ping and see the pandad remote link status as 1, it also lists the rolls on both nions. but I cant see the nions in Kiosk or Nware. I am presuming this is an issue with the multicast been blocked.

Any pointers please.

Along the same lines does anyone have any pointers using the subnet bridge in Ncontrol, this is the next stage of testing when the Ncontrol is delivered.

Thank you all

Matt

Re: Pandad via Vlan

When you start Pandad, initiate the remote link, and check the status of the link, are you then leaving Pandad running in the background when you start NWare or NWare:Kiosk? Or, are you closing Pandad, then opening NWare?

This is important, because you should be leaving Pandad up and running after you establish the remote link. This will allow NWare on your computer to see the NIONs since when you check the status of the link with Pandad Interactive it indicates a connection. If you are closing Pandad, then opening NWare, you will not be able to see the NIONs since the manual link that you created went away when you closed Pandad.

Otherwise, you should modify the pandad.cfg.xml file to automagically establish the remote link. How to do this is documented in the pandad.cfg.xml file. You will want to open it in Notepad so you can edit it. Be sure to make a backup copy of the original pandad.cfg.xml file in case you need to return to it at a later date.

If you have more questions, please ask away.

For more information on working with Pandad, please see the "Pandad Primer" which is available on the MediaMatrix website:
http://mm.peavey.com/assets/tech_notes/ … er_175.pdf

The same information is available in the help files under Pandad.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

I have been leaving interactive mode pandad open then opening nware or kiosk.

I've been readling all the tech notes tonight which has given me a few things to try tomorrow.

Fixed the problem,
I had missed the local_only="0" at the end of the address

If your VLANs on the separate switches are indeed distinct VLANs, then you will need to configure the pandad config file to point directly to the target Nion IP addresses; additionally you will need IP routing capabilities amongst the VLANs which you seem to have in place. Another, possibly simpler, alternative would be to join these VLANs into a single broadcast domain across all of your switches. This should be pretty straight forward using 802.1Q trunking on the links between your switches. Such an arrangement would permit operation without the need for custom configurations.

Just a thought....

I fixed the problem, while testing I was using Pandad in interactive mode, I found later that I had missed the  local_only="0" when pointing pandad at the remote Nion so it want getting the full discovery log.

I have now modified the the pandad config file, Kiosk now discovers correctly.

This is a multi venue project so each venue is a seperate Vlan to reduce the Broadcast domain, also to make it harder for users to cause problems in other venues.

New Questions

1- Is using the Subnet Bridge in N-Control more or less the same as setting up remote locations in pandad? I am thinking I should have a subnet bridge for each remote Nion system on different vlans/subnet?

2- I am trying to learning some more about SNMP, do the N-Control SNMP blocks work in emulate mode?