Topic: Network adapter identification

I was setting up NWare on a host that was connected to a network containing many VLANs. The host utilizes a trunked connection so I have access to all the VLANs with a single physical port. Using the NICs configuration, I create the various VLANs and they appear as distinct network adapters in Windows Network Connections. To help keep these straight I name each of these connections according to the VLAN to which they are associated. Using NWare I now need to select the appropriate adapter, the one created for the VLAN on which the NioNode control connections are attached. My question is regarding the adapter descriptions that are available in NWare when choosing a network connection. Each selection states the IP address and name of the physical controller. In my case they are different IPs but all the same controller. Is it possible to also include the adapters descriptive name in this selection dialog?

Re: Network adapter identification

Does different NioNode's TCP/IP port not in the same VLAN?We also have many VLANs,but our Nion's TCP/IP port in the same VLAN. We open  the third level on switchs,we can access other VLAN's TCP/IP Devices .Do you want to do that?

Hi Jason!

That's a good question! I'm sure it would make what you are doing considerably easier! I'll make sure to point your question out to the people who would have to do the work and find out how difficult it would be. Certainly, if it is reasonably easy to do, I do not see a reason it would not be done. We need people like you asking these kinds of questions so we can make our software more user friendly.

Thanks!

-Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

zhangye wrote:

Does different NioNode's TCP/IP port not in the same VLAN?We also have many VLANs,but our Nion's TCP/IP port in the same VLAN. We open  the third level on switchs,we can access other VLAN's TCP/IP Devices .Do you want to do that?

From what I understand, this is not what he wants to do.

If I am understanding Jason correctly, his computer has a Network Interface Card (NIC) that is capable of interfacing with multiple VLANs in a network structure. You know how you can link more than one VLAN between two network switches with a single cable? He can do that between his computer and the network switch. This is really handy because it means that he does not need two separate NICs and network cables to connect to the control network and the CobraNet network. They both show up on one physical port, with one physical cable connected to the computer. However, in the software on his computer, each of the VLANs show up as a separate entry with different IP addresses (set according to the rules of that VLAN) and he has given "friendly names" to the VLANS so he can keep them straight.

When he starts NWare the "Communications Preferences" dialog box opens and asks him to "Please select the IP you wish to use for NION communications". In a typical computer configuration there is only one or two, maybe three options available in this box. In Jason's situation, each of the VLANs that are available from his network interface show up as a separate entry in this list. What does not show up is the "Friendly Names" he has given to all the interfaces, so he has to reference his notes to remember which IP address is on the VLAN that he actually wants to communicate with. He would like us to pass the friendly names from Windows Networking into NWare so he doesn't have to refer to his notes.

I think it is a good idea!

Jason- Let me know if any of this is incorrect because this is what I am going to pass along to the software engineering crew.

Thanks!

-Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Josh - That's exactly correct, the 'friendly' names do not appear on the adapter list.

zhangye - The switch in question does not have Layer 3 routing capabilities.