Topic: Nware1.5.0(Monitor and control Crest Ci amplifier through Nware)

Hello,

My topic:     Monitor and control Crest Ci amplifier through Nware

I have some devices:

Device                                                      Qty
Nion3                                                         1
Crest amp.Ci20×8(Nexsys module inside)  1
PC                                                             1

I found these contents in Peavey user forum:   
//CHANGES SINCE 1.4.4:
NEW FEATURES:
o Support for the Crest CKi and Ci amplifiers.  Using NWare you can now directly control and monitor the Crest amplifiers with installed CobraNet modules.  Control can be from a NION or from nControl.//

Step 1:

I installed Nware software in my PC, and I deploy a programm including 'Nionode' module and 'Crest Ci Amplifier (8 Channels)' module  to the Nion3 .
Yeah....It's wonderful!  I can monitor and control the Crest amplifier from the Nion3.

Step 2:

Now … If I have no Nion3…
I want to monitor and control the Ci20*8 through nControl.
I saw the words "Control can be from a NION or from nControl",and I saw the ncontrol module in Nware1.5.0. ...But I don't know how it works.
Must I have this equipment(a product packaging a new CONMAN with a robust intel based rack mount computer)?
Could I simulate the ncontrol in my PC? 
and What should I do?

Could you tell me some documents about ncontrol?

thanks

Last edited by Pea&Vey&Q (2009-02-23 09:12:33)

Re: Nware1.5.0(Monitor and control Crest Ci amplifier through Nware)

Nobody answer?

How can i monitor and control the Ci20*8 through nControl?

First, good to know that your install went well.  We are still experimenting with the software ourselves, learning how many amps a single NioNode can handle, before it forgets that it is a audio processor and not an amp controller.  So remember that using Nions to control amps is still in beta testing!

To control amps from the NioNode, the Nion's LAN port must be on the CobraNet network.  And a single network for Control and CobraNet is not recommended for any but the smallest install (a single NioNode, a couple of CABs, and a couple of CN amps).  For larger installs, an nControl would be required.  The nControl has two NIC ports, one for Control and one for CobraNet, so it can span two networks.

The first draft of the nControl document just went around our office for proofreading, and I expect that Andy will be posting it on the Knowledge Center soon.

So are you asking if you can monitor and control Crest amps using just nControl without NioNodes in your last post?  Yes, but a stand-alone (no Nions, no nControl required) version of the software to control Crest amps is being worked on.  Hopefully, this will be ready soon.

Hope this answers your questions

Scott

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Fergy wrote:

To control amps from the NioNode, the Nion's LAN port must be on the CobraNet network.  And a single network for Control and CobraNet is not recommended for any but the smallest install (a single NioNode, a couple of CABs, and a couple of CN amps).  For larger installs, an nControl would be required.  The nControl has two NIC ports, one for Control and one for CobraNet, so it can span two networks.

Is the amp control protocol carried over IP? If so, it may still be possible to keep the networks segregated by using a router(or Layer 3 switch). I've come across a few applications where a control device was required to exist on the same LAN as CobraNet devices. In those instances I've had pretty good luck using a managed switch to filter out the multicast traffic from a control only port while leaving the broadcast and unicast alone.

Actually, the NexSys protocol is routable.  So filters are not required, just a standard routing process.

Routing and layer 3 switching sounds easy, and it is for those who know what they are doing, but.....

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

I used the multicast filter for the CobraNet traffic, not the control traffic. Applying an unknown multicast filter to egress traffic on a port connected to a non-CobraNet device isolates that device from the beat frame and multicast bundles, yet still allows normal traffic to work. Of course if the control protocol uses Layer 2 multicast, the party is over but I haven't had that problem yet. It's a handy trick for devices that have to exist on a CobraNet network.

Jason, FYI the NexSys protocol is TCP/IP (Layer 3) as Scott.  It's able to be separated from the CobraNet traffic - we have written software and control systems to speak to the amps directly using a typical TCP/IP stack with no problem.  I suspect the reason CN and Control are on the same jack in this case is simply a back panel real estate issue.

Contact me directly if you want further information on the control protocol for the amps!

Thanks,

Joe