Topic: put/get recorded audio on Nion N3

I am VERY new to all of this and just need to be pointed in the right direction.
I am a software developer on Windows platforms. 

We have a NION N3 that we are using to record and transmit audio.
1) we'd like to retrieve the recorded audio back to our client Windows PC.  NWare does not seem to support this.  How is this retrieval typically done?  Again, I am looking for something that you all consider obvious, but I see no means of connecting to the flash area where the audio is stored, there's no ftp service, etc.  And I hope the answer is not to connect the audio out into the pc.

2) pretty much the same topic, only on the "put" side.  Would like to be able to push files to the Nion without the need to "re-deploy" via NWare.

thanks in advance,
-P

Re: put/get recorded audio on Nion N3

These features are not currently supported.

There _may_ be ways that this could be done by utilizing the FTP client in the NION's Linux operating system to transfer the files in and out... but I'm not the one to tell you anything about it.

AND, MediaMatrix does NOT support nor condone doing this kind of thing. If you are doing this sort of thing and you manage to break your NION, it will NOT be covered under the warranty.

BUT, as with most things in the MediaMatrix world... I'm not going to tell you that it can not be done... because it can be done and has been done before.

Remember, you are on your own with this... but if you have a working knowledge with Linux I'm sure you will be able to figure it out with minimal difficulty.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

We had a similar request in another post. A good solution seemed to not record or playback on the Nion at all, but rather in the PC. The use of a PCI Cobranet card, such as is available from AudioScience, makes this pretty easy.

Here is the link to the thread;

http://peaveyoxford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=350

Several ideas that may be of some help, take a look and think of unusal solutions.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the help.  I'll take a look at the link, Fergy.

At this moment, I am very optimistic.  With a coworker whose more linux savvy than me, we started the existing ftp server on the nion and can put/get that way.  In this manner, the "put" files need to have names that already exist so that the projects don't need to be re-deployed.  I was hoping this was the answer all along, just didn't know what file to edit to get the ftp server to start at boot time.

I have not yet seen it, but I am hoping recorded audio is just as friendly (i.e. some wav file we can grab).

-P

Most *nix systems use either a System V or BSD style init, I'm not sure which the Nion uses. Both systems utilize scripts in the /etc to control the startup. BSD style specifically uses /etc/rc.d, I don't use System V systems that much and I forget their details. Keep in mind that Nion firmware contains a complete filesystem image, so even if you add a script to start the ftp daemon, it will be overwritten when you upgrade firmware. Of course there is always the support angle, messing around in the internal OS can be fun, but you aren't likely to get much help if something breaks. If you choose to record on a separate system, you can leave the Nion in a out of the box, supported and should something blow up, easily replaced state.

As an example, take a Linux host outfitted with a Cobranet PCI audio card. When your Nion wants to record something, use a Python script to send a message(UDP would probably work fine) to a controller program on the Linux host(also easily written in Python). The controller program can then start a recording process to record the audio from the Nion and name it something, perhaps with a timestamp. Store the resulting file in a Samba share and now you can grab it from any Windows client.

Nice!  The great thing about Jason's suggestion is you can then build in redundancy and a not void the warranty.

Thanks,

Joe