Topic: nControl Conman and Python

Hi all,

Does anytbody know what the proposed python limitations of nControl are?

Will it be the same cut down version of python as in the Nions and current Conman?

Re: nControl Conman and Python

From what I understand, we can integrate whatever modules and packages from Python 2.4 that we wish. Do you have some specific modules and/or packages that you would like to see in there? Or is there some particular functionality that you are seeking?

Thanks!

-Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

I know that the Nion had some issues with specific functions in the Python time module. I'm sure there were others also. Will these caveats still apply in the nControl?

The python string module would be the one that I have been requesting for years!

If you can put everything in then why not just put it all in? Presumably you will also have to have some way of having different python environments in Nware for Nion and Conman/nControl (historically not enough space in Nion for full python), but whatever you do please do NOT disable python scripts from running in a Nion.

tucan wrote:

The python string module would be the one that I have been requesting for years!

Very good to know.

tucan wrote:

If you can put everything in then why not just put it all in? Presumably you will also have to have some way of having different python environments in Nware for Nion and Conman/nControl (historically not enough space in Nion for full python),

I am not exactly sure why we can't / if we can do that... I'm going to ask our engineering guys to have a look at this thread and see what their thoughts are. I'm sure they will have a lot of good insight.

tucan wrote:

but whatever you do please do NOT disable python scripts from running in a Nion.

Oh yes, disabling python scripts from running in a NION will NOT happen. It is far too wonderful of a tool, when used correctly, to take away!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

The best thing about python is that in a nion I can do anything I like, it is NOT limited. OK so maybe that means that sometimes I do too much and crash the unit, but far better to 'use it at your own risk'  than only being able to add a few limited logic functions.....

tucan wrote:

Actually I would hesitate on this one. The preferred way to play with strings is using builtin string methods.

Maybe this is something I have missed but I tried a very long time ago to get the normal python builtin string methods to work and I could not. I was under the impression therfore that the string support within python was something that had not been included in Nware/Nions due to space limitations.

Ahh, that may be so. The string module has gradually been depreciated in favor of string methods. Perhaps the Python version integrated into the Nion products predates the move to methods.