Topic: Digital noise

I had a call about one of our systems making some unwanted noise. The system in question consists of two n3s connected via XDAB and a collection of CAB 4ns. I muted the signal path I was troubleshooting and looked at that path's output on a meter. By 'output' I mean the flyoff that is ultimately connected to the NioNode's output flyoff. Once and a while I could see a very small amount of signal, around -95dB. This particular signal path existed in the second Nion. If I did the same thing for a signal path that existed in the first Nion, the meter was completely dead. Both signal paths were pretty much the same, serving BGM for different zones. In both cases the meter existed in the second Nion, so when I monitored the first DSP it was via XDAB. We replaced the second Nion with a spare and that seemed to fix the problem, I would get nothing on the meter when the signal path was muted. Has anyone seen this before?

Re: Digital noise

Jason,

It may not be related, but I've been seeing a lot of "piond/xdab/manager In port data error" which ultimately affect ALC devices very adversely.  Just out of curiousity, did you see anything dodgy in the log?

Thanks,

Joe