Topic: Nomenclature on Serial tab within the NioNode

This is a minor issue as it only relates to the labeling in the "Comm port" field of the serial tab within the NioNode in NWare. The available Comm ports are labeled as "REAR (COM1 on PC)" and "FRONT (COM2 on PC)".

As there is no longer a port on the front and both ports are on the back, I am wondering if we shouldn't rework the nomenclature on these labels to more suit the actual screen printing on the chassis. On the actual chassis it says "RS 485" for COM1 and it says "RS-232" for COM2. The whole issue of labeling the 485 port with "RS" is incorrect also, but as that is actually screened on, it is not for us to fix. I believe the absolutely correct nomenclature for this standard is currently "EIA-485".

I propose that we change the software to actually say "485/422" or just "485" for COM1 and "232" for COM2. This way it is decidedly obvious what port is being referred to since that is what it is actually labeled on the rear panel. To someone who has never used a NION with the front panel RS-232 port, this is a very confusing issue.

The other confusing thing about this page is the last selection box that states "Rear mode" and has "RS-422" & "RS-485" listed in it. It would be nice if we could make this box either go away, or be dependent on whether "232" or "485/422" is selected above. Maybe simply relabeling it something different would make it more clear as to the function of this box.

What thoughts do other people have about these issues?

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Re: Nomenclature on Serial tab within the NioNode

Do we need to worry about the thousand or so units that have Front and Rear Serial Ports?  Does it really matter, since those are all already installed?  Should a note be placed here to explain the older units?

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

I don't think this is an issue of whether the ports are on the front or rear, as they are clearly labelled with RS-232 and RS-485 (RS-422/485 for some of the older units) wherever they are on the unit.
The current standard is now EIA-485, however, since the Nions themselves have RS-485 written on them, I think it would be advisable to stick with this in the software otherwise we will just be creating another confusing issue! It is also my understanding that people are familiar with the name RS-485 still, so I see no reason to change it.

Mat wrote:

I don't think this is an issue of whether the ports are on the front or rear, as they are clearly labelled with RS-232 and RS-485 (RS-422/485 for some of the older units) wherever they are on the unit.

That is exactly correct Mat, but they are not clearly labeled in the software, which is the whole point of this thread. In the software it only says "REAR (COM1 on PC)" and "FRONT (COM2 on PC)". It does not say anything about which one addresses the 485 port and which one addresses the 232 port.

Mat wrote:

The current standard is now EIA-485, however, since the Nions themselves have RS-485 written on them, I think it would be advisable to stick with this in the software otherwise we will just be creating another confusing issue!

This is precisely why I proposed simply labeling the ports in the software with "485" or "485/422" and "232" in lieu of "BACK" and "FRONT". This would completely drop the "RS" and "EIA" marking altogether.

Mat wrote:

It is also my understanding that people are familiar with the name RS-485 still, so I see no reason to change it.

I agree that people are familiar with the RS-485 label, and I am NOT recommending that we change the printing of the name on the back of the unit. I am okay with it saying "RS 485" on the back. However, I will note that people like it when the nomenclature that is included with a product, especially a product in the tier that MediaMatrix is sold in, is correct. In fact, I had a consultant comment to me the other day specifically that it is incorrect to have the 485 port marked "RS" and should be marked "EIA", to which I responded that he was exactly correct.

Just to be quite clear, I am not advocating changing anything with the labeling or positioning of the ports on the NION. I would just like it marked in the software as to exactly which one you are talking to, since it is not clear. I would like to see the following:

REAR (COM1 on PC)

become this:

485 (COM1 on PC)

Also:

FRONT (COM2 on PC)

should become:

232 (COM2 on PC)

This way it is clear in the software which port on the back you are talking to. There is a port labeled "485" and a port labeled "232". There are not any ports labeled "FRONT" and "REAR". In fact, no "FRONT" ports exist anymore... there are now two rear ports.

These are the kinds of details that take a product from being a "GOOD" product to being a "GREAT" product.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Fergy wrote:

Do we need to worry about the thousand or so units that have Front and Rear Serial Ports?  Does it really matter, since those are all already installed?  Should a note be placed here to explain the older units?

I do not think this is a big deal, Scott. The change I am advocating would be purely a change in how the two ports are labeled in the software and not anything to do with how they are labeled on the hardware, or even where they are located on the hardware. With the changes I am proposing, you could put your 232 port on the bottom or side of the unit and it would still be clear that you are talking about the "232" port, not the "FRONT" or "REAR" port.

Again, this is a very minor detail, but I seem to get more than a couple calls a week from people trying to interface things with the NION serial ports who do not understand which port is which. It isn't like it is a big deal, but quite regularly I have people plugging in something to the 232 port and have "REAR" selected on the tab. When I tell them to switch it to "FRONT" they always balk and say "But there are no ports on the front of the NION." To which an explanation must follow talking about how the 232 port USED TO BE on the front, but is not any longer. Every time I have to tell that story, I am reminded to create this thread. Since it happened twice yesterday, I created the thread.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios