Topic: ntouch 180

How did you set up the ntouch 180 to work as a kiosk client? I can't see that process in the instruction manual and the 180 I just received won't connect to my nion project.

The nion project uses nware version 1.6.3, the Ntouch has 1.7.? firmware on it.

There are no ntouch devices programmed in my project.

Re: ntouch 180

Hi,

You'll need to specify the 'Project Name / user / password' in the 'project' option of the nTouch 180 - These details are then used to Auto connect to the project at boot up and login to the specified Kiosk session. - The project name is case sensitive.

You'll also need to ensure that your chosen user account has the relevant access privileges when you're authoring your .npa (ie - network control access should be granted for the Kiosk users)

The Knowledge center hardware manual for the nTouch 180 does describe this procedure.

If the nTouch has an IP address you might be able to access the WebUI to enter the project settings too (this might not be available in earlier nTouch firmware release)

Hope this helps - please email me if you have any other problems.

Cheers,

Lee  big_smile

Hmm,
I have as a test scenario three devices conncected to my router/switch. My PC a nion n6 and an ntouch 180. If I connect to the web interface of the nion I can see the ntouch's web interface is available.

My test project has kiosk pages exported so that defaultuser can access them with all privileges. There is no password for this account.

The project names match.

When trying to connect, the ntouch gets stuck at Discovering fs_man for project TestProject....

Could it be a version problem? Is there a way to downgrade the ntouch to use kiosk 1.6.3?
I don't want to upgrade the 20 nions we have in our installation for this test.
Regards
Pedro

PS - If I run kiosk via windows explorer it works, so I guess its not a version problem.
PPS - in the web interface for the ntouch the Control Tab - Engine Status indicates that a project is installed. ntouch-test.
I don't see any reference to that on the ntouch.

Last edited by Nebulous (2015-11-16 21:07:17)

You can erase the "ntouch-test" project file that is currently running on your nTouch 180. It is used for testing units before they are shipped out.

Notes on using the nTouch 180:

1. Be sure you are using the Ethernet port on your nTouch 180 that is adjacent to the USB ports, not the one that is adjacent to the Serial ports.

2. When setting up the "Project" page the project name must MATCH EXACTLY. Capitalization counts. Spaces count. If you see the message "discovering fs_man for project..." that means that there is an issue with the name and the nTouch 180 can not find the name. Check for extra spaces at the beginning or end of the project name and check to be absolutely certain that the project names do in fact match EXACTLY. I have been bitten many times by project names where I reversed a couple letters or accidentally added a space.

3. You can change the version of NWare and NControl installed on your nTouch 180 by doing a firmware update through the NWare software on your computer. It works just like doing a firmware update for a NION. However, newer versions do work better and offer more features than older versions so it would be preferred to update the NIONs and nTouch 180 to the latest version, though it will work to downgrade your nTouch 180, as long as firmware is available in that version of NWare.

4. If you get past the "discovering fs_man for project..." but then get the login message asking for a username and password, this means that the user account information that you entered on the Project page is either wrong in some way (misspelled, or simply incorrect) or your user account does not have access to a Kiosk Exported Page Group. You can check the user account settings in NWare and adjust them as necessary, remember that your user account must be allowed access to an Exported Page Group, so you will need to check one of the check boxes on that part of the page. If you edit any of the user account information you will need to deploy the project. Be sure when the deploy process starts that it goes through the "Check and compile" part first. You can force this to happen by holding down the shift key when you click the deploy button.

5. When you are authoring your .npa file, you will need to provide navigation buttons for your page flips. This is typically done with Generic Controls configured as Trigger. This is to allow you to change pages and allows you to decide what your navigation scheme is going to be.

Have fun and good luck!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

It seems the problem was with the Project name after all. It will not connect if the project name includes a space.
Thanks for the help.

Sorry, but you CAN use spaces in the project name.  It must have been something else that was "fixed" when you removed all of the spaces from the name.

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.