Topic: NION n6 Dante: maximum number of flows

Hi,

Which is the maximum number of flows (unicast + multicast) that NION n6 Dante can send/receive?

Thank you,
Rui

Re: NION n6 Dante: maximum number of flows

Any Dante enabled NION can transmit up to 32 channels and receive up to 32 channels simultaneously.

I would recommend using as little multicast as possible as it is a resource hog on the whole network.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Sorry, I was not clear in my question.
The number of channel 32x32 is specified in the user manual. That is not my doubt.
The question is related with the maximum number of flows that can be assigned to a Dante Nion transmitter. Imagine that I need to transmit 2 audio channels to 8 receivers. In this case I would use 8 unicast flows with to 2 channels per flows. No problem.
Imagine now that I have 40 receivers. How many unicast flows can I use? 40?!
This is just an example, in this case a single multicast flow would be the best solution. However in a bigger DSP NION network, is important to know how many unicast flows (group of 4 channels) + multicast flows (group of 8 channels) does a Dante enabled NION can transmit/receive.
thank you.

Ahh yes! Sorry about the confusion.

Certainly you are correct in that if you have a couple channels that need to be present at a number of receivers, the best plan would be to multicast those channels.

I believe that the Dante card currently used in the NION is capable of up to 32 flows.

(For those who are playing along at home and are confused, but are familiar with CobraNet: A "flow" in the land of Dante is the equivalent to a CobraNet Bundle. However, they are automatically aggregated and assembled, and can have up to four channels. There is no user intervention necessary to define a flow beyond clicking the cross point to send audio from one source to a destination.)

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Nice additional explanation, Josh.
Thanks.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw