Topic: X-Frame and MM-8848

We are using an X-Frame (yes the really old one) with a MM-8830 at the show I work at currently. We recently purchased a MM-8848 as a backup unit and had a 8802 thrown in for free. The X-Frame seems to see the 8848 ok, but I am unable to compile at 48k with the X-Frame. My two questions are:

1. Are the 8848 and 8802 even compadible with the X-Frame's?

2. If yes, then can I run them at 44.1k instead of 48k?

Thanks for any help with this.

Re: X-Frame and MM-8848

Hi Krista,

The 8848 and 8802 are both compatible with the original XFrame, with a couple details.

The original series of BoBs (8830, 8840, and 8848) were fixed frequency sample rates. They can ONLY be used as follows:

8830 = 32kHz
8840 = 44.1kHz
8848 = 48kHz

So no, neither the 8830 nor the 8848 can be used at 44.1kHz. But they can be used if you change the sample rate of the project to suit which BoB you are using.

Your ace in the hole here is the newer 8802 BoB. This unit can operate at any of the three available sample rates. There should be an LED on the front panel that tells you what sample rate it is currently running.

Is your failure to compile an issue with incompatible sample rates with the hardware (i.e. trying to use 44.1kHz while using the 8848 BoB) or is it an issue of running out of DSP resources?

Have fun and good luck out there!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Thanks for the quick reply. I was running out of DPS resources, but I have managed to thin the project down to be able to compile it at 48k on the 8848.

One other question, is it possible to use the M-Ware software with the original X-Frame or am I locked into the XWare software? I am much more familiar with the Mware and it would be great to be able to upgrade our system to a newer setup.

Krista M wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I was running out of DPS resources, but I have managed to thin the project down to be able to compile it at 48k on the 8848.

Yes, if you were running out of DSP resources, that is exactly what you needed to do. I've been known to start a project at 48kHz using an XFrame 88, then knock it down to 44.1kHz, then knock it down again to 32kHz to get the additional DSP resources for additional desired functionality. However, when you are using an 8848, you do not have that luxury.

Krista M wrote:

One other question, is it possible to use the M-Ware software with the original X-Frame or am I locked into the XWare software? I am much more familiar with the Mware and it would be great to be able to upgrade our system to a newer setup.

Unfortunately you absolutely must use the "XFrame 1.3" software with the original XFrame, not any version of MWare, or even "XWare". All three software packages are similar, but there are some differences, as I am sure you have noticed.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info!