Topic: Nion not playing WAV files?

We have an existing Nion n3 installation that processes a few music tracks, and also stores 12 pre-recorded paging spiels within in the Nion. All audio comes out the same speakers. Everything has been working perfectly for 3+ years.

But I got a call from them today saying they couldn't play any of the paging spiels. Everything else is working OK (all music playback and even the paging mic). My client seems convinced it is a problem with the Nion. I haven't been to site yet, so can't verify. They say they have re-deployed the project (involved updating the Nion firmware to 1.7.0), but still no joy.

My Q: Is is conceivable that a Nion could be working ok in every way, except for the wave file playback???

Thanks,
Martin

Re: Nion not playing WAV files?

It is indeed highly unlikely that all the rest of that stuff would work and just the wave files would cease to function correctly.

However, how could it have just stopped working? The same outputs are used, and if everything else was working then one would certainly think that the wave playback should keep working without an issue.

Things to check:
1. If the wave files are stored in the FTP directory, make sure the wave player is attempting to play the files from the location: "ftp/wavefilename". If the wave files are loaded into the media tab of NWare, then the wave player should be loading only "wavefilename". You can omit the ".wav" bit from the end of the filename in both cases.

2. If the wave player is having some difficulty locating or playing the tracks, there should be an error message in the wave file player that tells you what problem it is encountering.

3. You indicated that they have updated the firmware from some older version to version 1.7.0. Did they update both the NION's firmware and the software on their computer? Remember, it is important that both version numbers match regardless which version of NWare you are using.

4. When they updated the project file from the older version of NWare to the newer version, did they also check the project file for out of date devices? It is simple to do in NWare by going to Tools > Update All Out Of Date Devices... This will check all the devices in the project file and make sure they are current. If any are out of date and need to be updated, it will give you the option of updating them.

5. How are the wave files triggered for playback? Time and date? GPIO? Something else? Could it be that something broke on that end of things?

Hopefully these thoughts and comments may assist you in sorting out what the problem is.

Have fun and good luck!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios