Topic: nControl error - exception during engine start

Tried to deploy a new file today using 1.7.0a. There are 8 n6 devices and an nControl in the file. All firmware was updated to 1.7.0a prior to the deployment. All nions took their role and started fine, however the nControl failed to start with an error:

exception during engine start: leveler_ambient_sensing: bad function name specified in configuration file line=1 column=6036931: bad function name specified in configuration file.

role start failed: leveler_ambient_sensing: bad function name specified in configuration file line=1 column=6036931: bad function name specified in configuration file.

My understanding of the device assignment was that the ambient sensing devices were assigned to the nions, not the nControl. Was wondering if anybody can help me in figuring this out, since it only happens on a live deployment, and no errors are present during emulation.

I've already tried removing all ambient sensing devices and pulling "new" devices in (thinking something may have been corrupted in the device config), but the same issue occurs. Any assistance or point in the right direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

Re: nControl error - exception during engine start

This sounds like a possible issue with Bogus controls that may be existing in your project file.

I'm guessing that these controls were probably originally copied out of an Ambient Sensing Leveler at some point previously, then the parent device for these controls was deleted. This would leave these controls as orphans.

At some point and time after that, additional devices were added to the project file and one of those devices received the same Device ID number that the original Ambient Sensing Leveler had AND that new device is assigned to the nControl because it is a control device of some kind, not an audio processing device.

I have seen this kind of thing happen before and I was able to fix it.

If you would like me to take a look at it and see if I can fix it, you can use the link to the left to send me an email and I will tell you where to send the file via email, or you can provide a Dropbox link or other file sharing method.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios