Topic: Wave file recorder

I'm having some trouble with a cab, it's creating a lot of clicking noise. I hoped to record it to submit it to the forum with a wave file recorder. I recorded it to /test, but I can't seem to retrieve it. How do I go about that?

Re: Wave file recorder

If you save it to a file named "ftp/test" it will be in your NION's FTP directory and you can just use an FTP client to move it to your computer.

That said, if you are having a problem with a CobraNet based CAB, the first step is always to connect the CobraNet Discovery software to the CobraNet network and see if that CAB is kicking up a series of errors. CobraNet is extremely robust, so if you are hearing clicks and pops, either the CobraNet configuration on one device in the network is in error, or you have a network problem. Disco can help you find either situation.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

I have two cabs that misbehave in a similar fashion. They are populated with mic input cards. Slots A and B will produce clicking noises that are evident on the front panel. This appears on A unless A is removed, then it appears on B. I haven't tried running disco yet but I did swap the main board of the cab out and the clicking disappeared. Any ideas as to the cause of this?

You were correct Josh, Disco shows that this box is throwing errors with code 0x76 - the Programmer's reference manual says:

76 1,4,3 FATAL PROC_LOOPSTACK_UNDER            Processor internal loop stack underflow.        Memory corruption  hardware or
software problem

That description doesn't do much to isolate my fault. Any ideas on how I could narrow it down or should I just send the box out for repair?

The reason I haven't sent this out for repair already is that if I were to put a new set of input cards in the faulty boxes the fault doesn't appear, but if I put the former cards in another box, they aren't faulty either. So I'm left wondering what this fault could be.

Hi there!

You are missing one important step.

You can not just take the hexadecimal value displayed in Disco and look it up in the manual. You need to convert the hexadecimal value to a decimal value to find the actual byte code.

Now, in your situation you only have two digits, this is handy because when you are dealing with the CM-1 modules you use the FIRST two digits and when you are using the CM-2 modules you use the LAST two digits.

So, in this case the only thing you are given is 0x76. So if you take the hexadecimal value of 76 and convert it to decimal you will get the value of 118. This is the byte code that you need to look up in the reference manual.

I have seen this byte code when the wrong EPROM was installed in U22 on the main board. Depending on what networked audio card you have in the CAB 4n, you need to have a matching EPROM. There is a different code stored in each EPROM for the CobraNet CM-1 and CM-2 cards and also a different code for the Dante DLM card. If you have a CM-2 card in your CAB 4n  and you have the CM-1 version of the EPROM in the U22 socket, you will get a steady stream of the byte code 118 errors in Disco because the microprocessor on the main board is telling the module to do all kinds of things it can't do because it isn't a CM-1.

So, I would check your EPROM in U22 to see what it says on it and check your CobraNet card to see which type it is. This can be easily read in the sysName and sysDescription fields in Disco if you do not have the box open. You can grab a screen shot and post it here that shows at least those two fields and I'll help you decode what it is trying to tell you. Or you can snap a photo of the inside of the unit and I'll point out what you need to be looking for.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

One of the cabs has a sticker on u22 that reads, 30427512
The cobranet card has two stickers on it, there's one that is on what could be an eprom and it says CM18101 2.10.5 EMI105,
the other sticker is on the PCB it's added after the silkscreen "cobranet module" and reads 2B02FDC1

The other cab has a sticker on u22 with the peavey logo that reads Cab 4n v2.0 02 (D2?)
Its cobranet card has the same sticker on the eprom and it's pcb sticker reads 2B02F8BE

How'd I do?

the eprom sticker that reads 30427512 has a sysName of CAB 4n v1.0

Yep, it looks like both your CAB 4n's are CM-2 versions. That is what the CM181XX is referring to.

They should both have EPROMs that say "CAB 4n V2.0" on the sticker. The one with the sticker that says 30427512 is for the CM-1.

So in Disco, you will note that the EPROM for the CM-1 says in the sysName column "CAB 4n V1.0". Similarly, the EPROM for the CM-2 says in the sysName column "CAB 4n". This is an immediate way to differentiate which EPROM is installed in the CAB 4n.

Also in Disco, if you look in the sysDescription column it will tell you a number of things:
1. The version of CobraNet firmware in the module. It is important to have the latest version of firmware because the older versions had issues that were fixed by new firmware releases. You can see the other post about CobraNet firmware versions in this forum.
2. The type of module, CM-1 or CM-2. This will be explicitly stated in plain text.
3. The hardware revision of the CM-1 module. New NIONs are shipping with rev.4 CobraNet hardware at this time, older units will have a rev.3 module, and really old units will have a rev.2 module. This is only true for the CM-1 module, the CM-2 module's revision is referenced by the chipset number instead.

So anyway, it appears that at minimum you need to replace the U22 EPROM that is for a CM-1 module with the correct EPROM for the CM-2 module. This will at least get rid of one problem. Then you can look for other issues.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Can you recommend a channel for obtaining this eprom, should I go through a dealer or can I get one from Peavey directly?

Sure, you would need to order it from your MediaMatrix dealer.

You might be able to order it through Peavey Parts using a credit card, but with some of these programmed parts you can end up getting a part that has not been programmed.

The best solution is to have your dealer order the following from MediaMatrix sales:
"U22 EPROM for CAB 4n CM-2"
There is not a specific part number for that item.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

So, I swapped out the eprom and I'm now getting an error count of zero for error 0x1022 which I believe is the following:

Sample clock pull range test failure. The voltage controlled sample clock crystal oscillator VCXO) pull range does not meet minimum requirements.

Any idea on how I should pursue this?
thanks
Pedro

Hi Pedro,

If the errorCount is zero, you should ignore any entries in the errorCode column.

Error codes only matter if the error count is counting up.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Any other ideas as to what may be causing my fault?
Also, the default user on this NION has a password associated with it. Without knowing the password is there a way to reset it?

What is the actual fault you are experiencing?

The actual "defaultuser" account is not allowed to have a password. What is happening to make you think that it does?

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

The fault I'm experiencing is clicking noise apparently generated by mic cards in either the A or B slots of two cabs. The noise appears on the front panel indicators and at the output card of a connected nion as audio. The fault will appear on the card in slot A if it is populated. If slot A is left unpopulated the noise appears in slot B. I have two cabs that behave in this fashion. Slots C and D seem to be unaffected.

As for the default user issue, when I try to upload and connect as default user (which has all the permissions set) I get access denied, so I have to redeploy a new project file in order to control the nion.

Dear admin: Might be worth renaming this thread.

I've had something like this on CAB4n with MIC4 cards too. Didn't find a solution, though!
It does seem to be a bit variable with changing combinations of CAB4n and MIC4 cards.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

I agree on the variability. If I take the apparently faulty cards out and install them in another cab, they're fine, if I install different cards in the "faulty" cab, they work without fault.