Topic: Audio: Off: insufficient DSP count: 6 required, 5 are present

Hello,

I got this message on a N6: "Audio: Off: insufficient DSP count: 6 required, 5 are present". The project was muted on the other 2 N6.
The operator reboot the N6 and now is running fine, later we will try to pass hardware tests of the Nion.

I think that if is a hardware failure the reboot must not solve the problem. Can be a nware software bug ? Now we are using 1.6.1

I'll appreciate your help.

Re: Audio: Off: insufficient DSP count: 6 required, 5 are present

I've dealt with that issue before. Most times, the NION cannot find a chip due to firmware issues. Simply updating the firmware fixes it.

Although rare, I have seen solder joint, and general circuit card issues in Pb-free electronics. Pb-free solder has its problems. It simply lacks the reliability of the old Pb-Sn solder. To see if there's a solder or circuit card issue, I place light to medium hand pressure on the suspect component with the eraser end of a pencil. If anything changes while doing that, it's definitely a hardware issue.

I find it noteworthy that military electronics still use Pb-Sn solder. Of course, military equipment MUST work EVERY time. If a NION or iPod lose a solder joint, it's an inconvenience. If a military communications device loses a solder joint in battle, people die.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates