Topic: Wave File Player Issues

I inserted a Wave File Player into a project.. and I it is set to 48k / 16-bit / mono.  I then went through and converted a sound bit to the same sample rate, and imported it into the media tab of my Nware project.   I emulated, and typed the name of the file in the top bar of the wave file player..   but I cannot get it to play.   Is there a step I am missing?

Also, it does show "Error unsupported"

What program do I need to be using to edit audio clips to format them correctly?    I was using Adobe Audition.

Last edited by Bharlow (2011-10-13 15:40:09)

Re: Wave File Player Issues

Hi Ben,

For starters, you can not emulate the behavior of the wave file player. You must actually load it into the NION to get it to work, much like the meters, generators, etc.

Secondly, we have run into a few situations where 48k, 16 bit, mono/stereo files created by Protools and other editors do not seem to want to play in the NION's wave file player. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I expect that it is related to some detail information in the header of the file. I highly recommend a program called "Easy CD-DA Extractor" to convert files from whatever format they are currently to 48k/16bit files for use in the NIONs. I use this on an old Pentium 4 computer in my office and it works really well. You can get a copy of it here: http://www.poikosoft.com/

I don't know what the issue is, exactly... but I do know when I run whatever files anyone has ever given me through Easy CD-DA Extractor and set the "Output Format:" to .wav (Standard) with 16-bit Mono (or Stereo) 48,000Hz, It has always worked well when I then loaded that output file into the NWare project. I have no idea what kind of "magic" it imparts, but it definitely changes something because the files that come out are generally ever so slightly smaller than the original file that went in.

If you would like me to give it a try, I'd be glad to run your file through the converter and make sure it works. I'm not sure if Poikosoft still offeres this software as a free trial, but that is what I have always used.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

We also had an instance where an "apparently right" file just would not play. Investigation also pointed to some extra herbs and spices that Protools had invisibly added. I've found that even the standard Windows issue Sound Recorder works fine for converting files.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

I am glad I caught this thread, because I have been having this issue as well. Another thing I have run into is getting an error that says the wave files are 'corrupt'. This happened to me both when I uploaded the files into the media tab and when also uploading directly to the NION using the FTP.

More recently I have been using REAPER (www.reaper.fm) as an editing platform. When you render your final mix, there are options to render it directly to a 48kHz 16 bit stereo/mono file. There are several check boxes that allow for additional information to be stored in the header of the file. I found that when I do not check any of those boxes the wave file that comes out works just fine playing in the NION.

So, if you can't tell ProTools to not put that junk in the header, perhaps you should give REAPER a spin.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

We receive many audio files that won't run correctly or at all.  The file is then run thru the "Easy CD-DA Extractor" that Josh mentions above, and 99% of the time, the files now run fine.

If you are having problems with corrupt or "Error-Unsupported" audio files, give Josh's answer above another read, as it almost always solves the problem.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Hey Josh; Scott and I we're chatting the other day about the required length (time) for the wav files in order to play back properly through the player. Basically what happened is that I was using a wav player to create button sounds on my Kiosk pages. Initially my samples were about 50ms and they would not play back. Once I made the audio samples about 125ms then they would play back.

-Side Note- Scott, your idea worked about using one wav player and snap shots. To get it to work best I used a Control Router and then a Control Delay to make sure the snap-shot recalled first then the button triggered the playback. I will send over the file once I finish it up.

One last thing to add. The signal in the wav files was a quick transient signal.

gspydell wrote:

-Side Note- Scott, your idea worked about using one wav player and snap shots. To get it to work best I used a Control Router and then a Control Delay to make sure the snap-shot recalled first then the button triggered the playback. I will send over the file once I finish it up.

Greg,

I think you may be making this more complicated than it needs to be. I've attached a plugin that I have been using with good success. Have a look, you may find it useful.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Load-n-Play Wave File Player 32-Tracks.npp 26.03 kb, 654 downloads since 2012-01-16 

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Your Lock-n-Load player looks good (prettier than Scott's one from years ago - but don't tell Scott I said that). wink

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

phils wrote:

Your Lock-n-Load player looks good (prettier than Scott's one from years ago - but don't tell Scott I said that). wink

Quoted For Truth. Thanks Phil!

One good thing about it is that it is easy to scale up and down in size according to how many audio tracks you want to have available.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios