Topic: nio aes input

Dear all

i am connecting the audio output of one device , witch have the following specification , but i am not getting audio in the meter in nware , any idea ?

Aes standard : SMPTE 276M
input type      : unbalanced
impedance :75 ohm
signal level : 1vp-p

while the nio aes card of nion :

input type      : balanced
impedance :100 ohm
signal level : 5vp-p

Re: nio aes input

Not sure if this is your issue:
have you changed the dip switch settings to suit S/PDIF, if that's what you're feeding it?
See Hardware Manual - http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc/index.htm#11531

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Yes, I'm going to agree with Phil.

It appears that the device you are connecting to your NIO-AES card uses a SPDIF output. This is acceptable, as long as you set the dip switches on the card to the correct positions for SPDIF. The cards are supposed to come from the factory set for AES3 termination.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi Gents,

I think this might be the same phone call I had yesterday.

The input source is AES-3id standard (hence the unbalanced 75ohm) from what I've researched and not an SPDIF format.

There is an impedance mismatch between devices so an external transformer has been advised to convert from one unbalanced standard to another balnced type - I belive the Digital signal format is the same but the electronic characteristics are different.  I'm currently enquiring with the PDR team on the AES cards transformer specs.

I'll keep you poseted on the results.

smile

Lee

The other issue could simply be termination if the incoming signal is unbalanced. The inputs and outputs to and from the NIO-AES card are transformer isolated, as per the standard for AES transmissions so adding another transformer should not be necessary. However, care should be taken to make sure that both leads on the primary of the transformer are connected, otherwise (obviously) no signal transmission will take place.

In this case, I would take the incoming unbalanced signal and connect it to the + and shield terminations on the card. I would then add a jumper to connect the - input terminal to the shield. This way the - side of the input transformer is tied to the ground and the unbalanced digital input is tied across the + and shield.

This may have already been attempted, but I only have the information in this thread to work with.

The difference between AES3 and SPDIF is essentially a level difference. AES3 is 5V and SPDIF is 1V. I think...

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios