Topic: Using wav files copied to a Nion via ftp

I am trying to change wav files on a NION via ftp.
I can log on OK and connect to a dir with bin & lib directories in it.
I can copy wav files across.
I can see the copied files on the NION via the ftp connection.
I cannot play the files coped to the NION via ftp, where should they be stored? Is there a path I need to enter in the wav file player?
I cannot see the wav files copied as part of the program file - where are they stored?
Seems I am missing a vital bit of info that I cannot find in the manual to make this work!

Re: Using wav files copied to a Nion via ftp

If you have uploaded a file to the NION via FTP and you would like to play it, here is what you need to do:
1. Let us assume that the name of the file you have uploaded is "filename.wav" (remember, 48kHz wav files only!)
2. Make sure that the wave file player you want to use is assigned to the NION you uploaded the files to
3. Enter "ftp/filename" into the "File Name" box on the wave file player. Please take note the correct preamble is ftp/ it is not correct to use /ftp/ <-this will NOT work.

The files are stored in the ftp directory in the NION which is different than the projects directory where the project itself is stored. So, simply adding the "ftp/" preamble to the filename will give you access to that location.

In the situation where you have more than one NION, and you are loading the files into the NION via ftp, you will want to specify which NION the wave file player is assigned to so that it will be able to access the audio files you are uploading to it. A wave file player that is assigned to one NION can not access the wave files stored on any other NION. So, it is critically important that you assign the wave file player to the same NION to which you upload the wave files. To assign the wave file player to a particular NION:
1. Drag the wave file player into the design pane and wire it up.
2. Right-click on the wave file player and choose "Device Placement..." from the menu that pops up.
3. Click the button to the right of the "Role assign" combo box that is grayed out. You should notice that it looks like a lock that is open when you first arrive and you are locking it when you click on it.
4. Choose the NION in your project that you would like to assign the wave file player to. It is only necessary to lock the role, I recommend leaving the "DSP assign" unlocked so the system can assign it as needed.
5. Click the "OK" button to close the box and save the device assignment.

Please note that when assigning any DSP object to a particular NION, you click on the "lock" button once to lock it and make the assignment available. Once you have made the assignment, DO NOT unlock the button to gray out the assignment combo box. When the lock is engaged the compiler will place the device where you tell it to go. When the lock is disengaged the compiler will put it wherever it decides. In the event that you assign the wave file player to the wrong NION for the signal flow you have selected, you will need to use either the XDAB or the audio network to get your audio to the right NION. You will get XDAB errors in the Compile Results on the Report Tab in NWare. Any time you change audio signal flow or what devices are assigned where, you will need to redeploy the project (this will include a recompile of the code and deployment of the role to the project NIONs once again).

Good luck and have fun out there!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios