Topic: Hard limiter distortion

We have had this issue happen several times now.

After a project file is modified (i.e., an extra EQ added) and a system redeployed, distortion is present on one of the system outputs. Using a probe to track it down, we can detect that the distortion is being introduced at a a hard limiter (input is clean, output is distorted). I believe there used to a bug that caused certain hard limiter settings to cause distortion but this is different, and modifying the limiting settings has no effect on the distortion.

My first thought was to simply recompile and redeploy, hoping this would fix a compile-time problem but this did not fix it. Finally, I deleted the hard limiter in the signal chain, and added an identical one from the device list. Rewired, recompiled, redeployed and the system works ok again.

An interesting fact is that distortion seemed to be affected by other devices. If controls for certain device in the project file were modified (a certain channel muted or another limiter bypassed) the level and sound of the distortion seemed to change.

Re: Hard limiter distortion

I've not been able to reproduce this one yet.  Has anyone else seen  something like it?