Topic: Real time DSP load monitoring meter?

Dear all,

Actually I have a suggestion which I am not sure whether if it will be able to be implement in the future NWare program. Currently when we design a project, we can only find out the DSP and Memory usage of the NION after we compiled or emulate the project. We will then look at the % busyness before we know whether if we are overloading on the NION.

Is there a way we can add a real-time bar graph or load percentage indicator that will at least give an estimated loading on the DSP before we actually compile it? This way, we will know the status as we design the project.

The reason I am asking is also because this question was posted to me by one of my associate consultant cum client before.

Cheers!

Power is nothing without control!

Re: Real time DSP load monitoring meter?

It is part of the long term plans of NWare to add this feature, along with adding a method to monitor the control usage.

Do not expect to see these features added in the very near term, but these are features that we all would like to have and will be implemented in a much later release.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

I'd always given the explanation that the MM compiler is very efficient, and therefore it's not possible to accurately predict DSP usage until the compiler runs. Is this true?
An indication of control usage (before problems occur is certainly a good idea).

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

That is exactly the truth, Phil.

It can be thought of as if the compiler has a set of tetris blocks (the DSP algorithms) and it gets to retry and retry until it gets the most efficient assembly of the blocks into the DSP chips. This is part of what allows the MediaMatrix NIONs to cram so much processing into the DSP chips. If there were a real time gauge on DSP usage, it would just be a guess that would be prone to being wrong.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Understanding the tetris analogy is great for the interconnection between blocks and the DSP that those interconnections take, however a 8x1 mixer still should take 'X' amount of DSP no matter which chip it's on or how it's connected... to macholoi's point, I would think that could at least be a starting point, perhaps with an accuracy meter.

In other words, "50% DSP usage with 10% accuracy" may still be a more useful metric than nothing.

Thanks,

Joe

That is very true, Joe. I like that idea!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios