Topic: .npa file type opens with

Installing the last 2 betas just before teaching a class reminded me that I've never been able to easily "roll back" the .npa association with the most recently installed NWare version (even if it was an old one I needed for an old project). The "file types" approach, or "Open With" produces an error:

Error : Parse Cmd Line : archive_t error : file : C:\Document
error : No such file or directory

This looks like it might be trying to find the temp directory: I can't remember where it is.
The only thing I found that worked was to trawl through the registry, and remove NWare references, then re-install the version I want to be my default (eg 1.5.3a). Is there a better way, or is there one of the Registry entries that is all I need to edit?

Thanks

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: .npa file type opens with

For some reason altering this in the "open with" dialog box doesn't do anything for you. The way to do it, is to open regedit and navigate to the key where the Open Shell command is for npa files. As I always say before telling someone to edit their registry, "making a backup is never a bad idea." Now that that's been said dive right into "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NWare.npafile\shell\Open\command". The data value here is the route the computer will take to open that file. Double clicking on it will allow you to edit it. Simply put in the path to the version of NWare that you wish to use. Be certain though that the entire path is enclosed in quotes and that you leave a "%1" at the end. There you have it. All .npa files should open in that version of NWare.

Mike

Thanks Mike, However that path was already there, but I still get the error shown.
I reckon there's somewhere else that's pointing it to the temp directory, but haven't found that yet.

Phil

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Phil,

To clarify, do you want to change the default open behavior, or what appears in the 'Open With' menu item, or, both?

Greg

Sorry. To be clear:
I want to double-click on a .npa file in Windows Explorer, and have it open in NWare 1.5.3a, not the latest Beta (or older version) that I've just installed.

Last night I uninstalled and re-installed 1.5.3a, then under File Types chose restore, and it came good. That's a bit painful though.

Thanks

- George Bernard Shaw