Topic: Remote Power Down Of All Nions

Is there a way to remotely power down multiple Nions in a system without having to go through the web interface for each specific unit?

It already sounds better

Re: Remote Power Down Of All Nions

A few years ago, you could do it in a javaScript.  Today, most browser security settings won't let a page from one domain access a page from another in a 'hidden' manner.  Man-in-the-middle, cross site scripting, etc.  I think you should be able to do it at an exe level.

In a browser, try --

http://Nion IP Here/reboot_handler?action=h    for shutdown

http://Nion IP Here/reboot_handler?action=r    for reboot

You'll still be prompted for the username / password.

I haven't looked at RATC2 for a while, it might also support it.

Greg

Can I ask why this is needed?

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Wake on LAN would be a nice feature? Any possibilities of this in the future, does the current NIC support it?

This came up for me last week: the context was an energy-conscious (green) government project.
The desire was to be able to remotely shut down and boot up the system in order to minimise energy consumption while not in use.
thanks

Last edited by phils (2010-03-14 09:42:54)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

I think you could probably shutdown via telnet. Log in and issue an 'init 0'. For power up, you'll likely need some type of power sequencing hardware. I've seen several rack power distribution products that can be controlled via LAN. With those it would be trivial to execute a controlled shutdown of whatever segment of the system you desire.

I have also used a python script to do this in the past. You use the the shellexec function  from os.system() to call a 'shutdown -h now'.

This has the advantage of being easily triggered from within nware.

So there are lots of ways to shut it down...

Anyone have any thoughts on how to make it power back up after being shut down?

The most convient thing I can think of is still plugging the unit into a switched outlet since the unit remembers its previous power state when power is removed and reapplied. The only issue with doing things this way is the 90 seconds or so it takes the NION to get started up. Of course this time is dependant on the project that is loaded in the unit as some projects are quick to start while others take a bit more time to start.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Would this work?  Go to the web interface, and select "Halt" to stop pion-d.  This would reduce energy consummation to the minimum.  Then when ready to start, select the re-start from the web interface.  This would bring the system up far quicker than from a cold boot, perhaps in a few seconds, depending on the complexity of the Project.  As close as we can get to a Wake on Lan.

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

why not just use an IP  PDU??  You can control your power from anywhere in the world and not just for the NIONs but the whole project/  this is what I use all the time..... excellent is all I can say.

Just saw I never replied to this.

All great replies guys thanks for the help. The situation is I'm working on Ferrari World Them Park in Abu Dhabi UAE and we have multiple attractions all using Peavey systems built up of N3s, N6s, and sets of CAB units (4n, 16i 16o 8i 8o) We also have a paging/MSG/BGM system again built from multiple N6s that interface with each and every attraction. All controlled over a central fibre network

I was considering  the idea of shutting down and powering up the Nions respectivly at "start of day" and "end of day" commands in the control system for the park.

Thx

It already sounds better

In reference to my previous post, here's the code I use to shutdown NIONs;

import os

if inputs[0].changed_get():
  message.string_set("Executing Shutdown")
  os.system('shutdown -h now')

Simply role assign an instance of the script to each NION you wish to shut down. Simple as that!