Topic: FrontPanel Control - Granularity

To all,

When using the front panel control as a level control, it takes several revolutions to travel the range of the control.  Is there anyway to change this?

Thanks,

Greg

Re: FrontPanel Control - Granularity

"Attach" the Front Panel control to a Generic Control that is "range limited" (for example, set the Min Value to -18 and the Max Value to +6).  Now wire this Generic to the actual control.

Another solution is to set the mixer or gain device to "Live Taper" (Device Properties), now about 70% of the travel of the fader/knob is in the audible range (-20 to +10).

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Scott,

Thanks for info.  I started with a range limited control, and that didn't seem to help.

What seems to work best is to set the 'intermediate' control to integer.  Doesn't have any kind of taper, but one isn't spinning the encoder for days.

Then again, I'm kind of a newbie...

Thanks,

Greg

Scott-

Greg's issue is that it takes several revolutions of the physical knob on the front of the NION to get the device to which it is attached to move from its fully counter clockwise (minimum) position to its fully clockwise (maximum) position. This is a different issue from what you answered, "How do I limit the amount of adjustment this control has?"

Greg-

The answer is, "No." It would be nice if there was some sort of property that could be adjusted to account for how fast virtual control moves up and down. Thanks for the idea. We will add it to the list (though it will be quite a ways down for the time being unless there is an incredibly pressing need).

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Josh & Scott,

I think I've taken it as far as I can.

FrontPanel <-> Integer (P) <-> (P) Position (P) <-> (P) Main Level (M) <-> (S) Other faders

<-> Wire, (P) peer, (M) master, (S) slave

Integer runs from 0 to 10, Main Level runs from -30dB to 0dB.  Hence, audio low to high is independent of integer steps, and the Main Level can still be grabbed in a UI.  A littel over one turn on the Nion encoder.

Thanks,

Greg