Topic: NION N3 Hardware Error (New Unit)

This is a new NION N3 I received just recently.  Finally tried using it this past friday and this is what I am getting.

When I open up the browser and visit the IP address of this NION that I set up, and click on hardware to view the NION it comes up with this error message:

"An error occured on the unit while processing this page."
"/dev/pion/nio_8o3: i2c read failed"

If I deploy a project to the NION it shows the following message on the front LED screen:

"Clock Error: NIO-8O IN SLOT[4]:: SELECT() -- '/dev/pion/nio 803: i2c write failed"

------
Originally, this NION was ordered to have 3 8MLII input cards in expansion slots 1,2, and 3.  The NIO-8o card was supposed to be in expansion slot 4.   When the box first arrived expansion slots 2 and 4 were swapped.  The output card was in the wrong spot.  I had called technical support and asked about swapping the cards.  I was told that all I had to do was switch them, and the box did not care as long as they were seated properly.  I did swap the cards and put the NIO-80 card into expansion slot 4.  I did not have any trouble doing this.  I did try pulling that card out again today and looking at it.  I see no visible damage on the card.  I reseated it in the NION (while it was completely unplugged) and powered the box back on.  I still get the same error message.

Also, I spoke to technical support again on Friday.  The tech I spoke to wanted me to try making a basic project with just inputs going straight to outputs.  I did create a project like this.  I tried to deploy it to the NION and it gives me the same error message.  This same basic project I created I am able to deploy to a "second" NION box just fine.  So its not the projects causing the error message.  It has to be something hardware related. 

The technician I spoke to on Friday mentioned it may be a bad compact flash.. since that does happen occasionally.  Is thta something you can ship to us and I can swap out? 

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you!

Re: NION N3 Hardware Error (New Unit)

I can't speak for Peavey tech support, but if the input card that is now in slot 2 works, I would suspect a faulty 8o.
As far as a bad CF card, if I am interpreting the error message as intended, I2C is a logic-level serial buss used for communication between integrated circuits(ie microcontrollers). I suppose it could be a CF problem, but it seems to me as another indicator of a bad 8o.

Yes, but there are a couple things to try first, because a driver could corrupt.  One is to try to do an update of the firmware, even if it is the same version that is currently installed in the NION.  Give us a call, and we can work out additional help, and if needed, the replacement of the flash.

Last edited by Fergy (2009-09-14 05:21:51)

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Thank you for the information.  The 8ml II card looks to be just fine in slot 2 on this NION.  It has not given me any error messages at least so far.  Where can I find the latest firmware downloads?

I will be calling tech support again shortly to cover some more ground.

Disregard the firmware question.  I just downloaded the latest version of the Nware application.   Going to try that first.

I went through some troubleshooting, and I think it is the compact flash.  I upgraded to the latest firmware 1.5.2.  I tried to deploy a project again, and came back with the exact same error message.  I powered off the NION, and removed the 8o card from expansion slot 4.  I put the NIO-8o card into another NION, and when I ran a project on that box it had no errors.  So the actual NIO-8o card looks to be fine. 

I did try putting another 8o card into the bad NION and running and it returns the same error.  That being said, I believe I need to get a new compact flash.  I already spoke to Levin and he got me setup to send one out to us.  I'll swap that when it arrives, and hopefully that does it.

The tech support is very responsive whenever I call.  I do appreciate that very much.   Thanks!

I got the new compact flash today.  Swapped it out in the box.  I can view the hardware page on the NION without any error, and I loaded my project successfully.  We are live. 

Just thought I would follow up with a final solution here.  smile