Topic: CAB4N's Bundle offline

A PC in VLan 1, a CAB4N in VLan 2, and CAB4N's Bundle online;

When PC restarting system, then CAB4N' Bundle change to offline and must power off/on CAB4N;

Why?
How to fix it?
CAB4N's firmware is 2.9.11(.1)CM-1(m) rev 2

ths

Re: CAB4N's Bundle offline

Wut? Moar d3t4lz plz! kthxbi!

No seriously, I'm not sure what you are talking about...

If you are turning off and on a PC in one VLAN it should have NO EFFECT on anything in a different VLAN.
Is this PC running ConMan?
Is this PC connected to both VLANs?
I am assuming that this system has NIONs in it, or at least some MediaMatrix processing system... yes? no?
The more information that you share with me, the better job I can do helping you figure out an answer to your questions.

Thanks!

-Josh

p.s. I see you just registered the other day, I would encourage you to fill out your profile information so everyone here knows who you are. It is kind of a courtesy thing, it isn't required, but personally, I like to know who I am talking to. thx!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

2.9.11 firmware is ancient. Try using the latest firmware and see if that has an effect.  Whether it does or not, now is a good time to update. It is seldom useful to spend time debugging problems on outdated  firmware.

Double check that your VLAN is properly configured and is working as you assume it is. If it is is then there is no way that the PC powering up can have any effect on the Cab via the network. NO WAY.
So I would suspect a problem with the VLAN configuration might exist.  If the VLAN is indeed OK, then are the PC and CAB physically located in the same place? Are they plugged in to the same power strip or outlet? This is unlikely, but perhaps there could be some type of power issue. Try running them each from different power sources.

Nihilism is best done by professionals

cobraguy wrote:

2.9.11 firmware is ancient. Try using the latest firmware and see if that has an effect.  Whether it does or not, now is a good time to update. It is seldom useful to spend time debugging problems on outdated  firmware.

Steve-

As of this moment in time:
Firmware 2.9.11 is the correct firmware for the CAB 4n CM-1 ONLY. I am not sure why this is the only version of firmware for the CAB 4n CM-1, but as far as I know, it is the only one that works correctly.
For the CAB 4n CM-2, the correct firmware is 2.11.3.
For all NION products, the correct firmware is 2.9.16.
For all 1RU CAB devices, the correct firmware is 2.9.12.

Why are all the versions of firmware so fractured? That is a very good question and I'm not sure of the answer. I was hoping that you might be able to help us get this wackiness straightened out and get everything updated to the latest version of firmware.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

thx JoshM & cobraguy

first, I come from CHINA;

and this PC not running ComMan, and  PC in Manage VLan or audio VLan; it's not power problem;

the latest firmware for CAB4N? Where to download???

mm.peavey.com? can't login

Last edited by Pea&Vey&Q (2008-12-17 01:51:06)

Hi Pea&Vey&Q-

I am not sure I understand what cycling the power on the PC has to do with the CAB 4n losing its settings.

Are you somehow using the computer to control the CAB 4n? If so, the CAB 4n should remember its settings after you set them, until you cycle the power on the CAB 4n. Then, when the CAB 4n wakes up, it gets its settings from whatever is controlling it (NION, MainFrame, MiniFrame, ConMan, etc.). 

What device on your network is controlling the CAB 4n?

How is this device related to the computer that you are power cycling?

You do have the correct version of firmware for the CM-1 card in the CAB 4n. You do not need to update it at this time.

Are you having trouble accessing the MediaMatrix website? http://mm.peavey.com/ or http://mediamatrix.peavey.com/

Thanks!

-Josh

Last edited by JoshM (2008-12-17 15:01:10)

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Sure,
can't access the MediaMatrix website!!!
http://mm.peavey.com/ or http://mediamatrix.peavey.com/

Nion3  control the CAB 4n
and PC in manage VLan, and running nware1.4.1  to  monitor nion3 & CAB4N

thx

I am not seeing any problems with the website, and I have not heard from anyone else having problems since it was moved to an outside company.  Is anyone else having problems?  Check your connection at your end.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Pea&Vey&Q-

I am not sure why you are having trouble accessing the website.

Since moving the website from an internally hosted server to an externally hosted server, you are the first I have had mention that they can not get to the website. I attempt to access the website several times a day from various locations (including from my cell phone, personal computer, and company computer) and I have not been having a problem. I will look into this matter a bit and try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks!

-Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Pea&Vey&Q wrote:

Nion3  control the CAB 4n
and PC in manage VLan, and running nware1.4.1  to  monitor nion3 & CAB4N

Okay, so I am understanding that you have a NION n3 that handles the actual audio processing with inputs and outputs connected with a CAB 4n. You have a computer on this network using NWare 1.4.1 to control the NION. When you cycle the power of the computer, the CAB 4n disconnects from the NION.

How can you tell that the CAB is becoming disconnected? When you shut off the PC, do the numbers show up on the front panel of the CAB? Does the audio stop passing through the system?

The NION system is designed to not require a computer to be connected to it. So, this issue certainly is a very strange one.

Can you send your project file to me so I can look at it?

Thanks!

-Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

thx JoshM

When I restart the PC, then numbers show up on the fromt panel of the CAB4N,
it's means the CAB4N' ID is offline, sometimes, bundle is online or sometimes bundle is offline, when bundle online, the audio is nomal, and when bundle offline, the audio stop passing through the system.

In another CAB4N, Max Unicast set number 2, it's means this bundle send to NION and this CAB4N (we talk about it),

BTW,
maybe can't access the MediaMatrix website from CHINA !!!
I'm come from Beijing, can't access the MediaMatrix website , sure!!!

I am curious what functions this PC is performing to 'manage the VLAN'.

it's means "Control VLan",

PC in "Contraol VLan" running nware project to monitor nion3 and CAB4N;

CAB4N' Bundle......

following........