Topic: About XDAB Question

I have three vlans and 12 nions . Every 4 nions create a XDAB cluster.There are A ,B  and C cluster. Does XDAB master and Conductor master must in the same vlan?

Re: About XDAB Question

No, Nionodes that are in the same XDAB Cluster can Sync together regardless if they belong in different VLAN's. Of course each VLAN will require it's own CN Conductor. Take a look at this example from the Nware help file and Knowledge Center.

http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc/usecase9 … usters.gif

In this case,which sounds very similar to your configuration, you can see Nions receiving there Clock signals from Nion's from other VLAN's. In this example VLAN 1 does not have an XDAB Master.

All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

Zhangye,

You may also want to take a look at the full section on this located in  the Nion Hardware manager online manual
go Here: http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc/
Then navigate to here:
NION Hardware Manual » Using XDAB clusters with VLANs and CobraNet

Where you put your conductors and XDAB masters will be a function of the audio and clock paths. i.e which devices in which VLANs must exchange audio data and how the CobraNet clock is propagated.
As a rule, you can't have a NION in an XDAB cluster that is a performer in a VLAN who's CobraNet conductor does not derive its audio clock from the XDAB master in the cluster.
The clock source can be one or twice removed but it is important to insure that everything is synced up properly. It can be a little confusing if the basic concept is not understood.
Again, take a look at the "Using XDAB clusters with VLANs and CobraNet" in the Hardware manual and make sure you understand the concept of following the clock paths to inure there is no clock contention between the XDAB cluster clock domain and the CobraNet VLAN clock domains.

Nihilism is best done by professionals

I didn't understand "wored example 2 - a bad configuration " in "Using XDAB clusters with VlANS".
I didn't know Network with VLAN and three XDAB cluster in which scenario  is bad config.

Zhangye, I assume you are referring to the last example "Follow The Clock – A Bad Example"

The NION marked (1) is the XDAB master for the cluster. But it is a performer in VLAN 1.
The NION  marked (2) is the clock source for the CobraNet network in VLAN 1. But it is a slave in the XDAB cluster.
So NION 2 is supplying the audo clock to all CobraNet devices in its VLAN segment, including NION 1 which is the XDAB master.
So there is a clock circle with no clear audio clock source.
NION 2 is getting its audio clock from NION 1 via XDAB, which is getting its clock from NION 2 via CobraNet which is getting its clock from NION 1 via XDAB which is getting its clock from NION 2 via Cobranet and on and on an on in a circle with no definitive clock source.

If the NION (1) were changed to be both the Conductor and the Master then this would work.  Even better would be to put the conductor in a device outside of the cluster that itself is not in a cluster, i.e. a single device.

I see.When Conductor and Master in the same vlan,them didn't separate in the same cluster.If this cluster nions use two vlan ,the cluster have two conductor.First conductor and the cluster's Master must in the same nion in the first vlan. Second conductor in the Sencond vlan.

zhangye wrote:

I see.When Conductor and Master in the same vlan,them didn't separate in the same cluster.If this cluster nions use two vlan ,the cluster have two conductor.First conductor and the cluster's Master must in the same nion in the first vlan. Second conductor in the Sencond vlan.

Eureka! You have got it!

The point is to get the clock to travel through the system from one single point that is the master of the whole system. This master should not be influenced by an outside source. So, in one cluster, there is an XDAB Master AND all the CobraNet Conductors for each CobraNet VLAN. The other clusters will still have an XDAB Master since there must be a Master for each XDAB stack, but they will ALL be performers on the CobraNet network.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

cobraguy wrote:

Zhangye,
You may also want to take a look at the full section on this located in  the Nion Hardware manager online manual
go Here: http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc/
Then navigate to here:
NION Hardware Manual » Using XDAB clusters with VLANs and CobraNet

This is useful information. There's more of it than appears on the front page. Make sure to use the "Contents" navigation bar at the left to visit it all - the internal links between pages is incomplete.

I've reviewed this stuff and I have a question about Scenario 9:

The overall source of clock in this example is the first Nion on cluster 1.

The illustrated path for clock distribution to cluster 3 is: across VLAN2 to cluster 2, across XDAB in cluster 2, across VLAN3.

An alternate configuration would be to make one of the VLAN1 Nions in cluster 3 the XDAB leader. This looks like it would produce a more direct clock distribution: across XDAB in cluster 1, across VLAN 1.

Any reason why the former is demonstrated as opposed to the latter?

Nope

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Reply to post #8.    KevinG, you are correct in your suggestion. Making one of the Nions in VLAN 1, Cluster 3 the XDAB master would be a more direct clock route.
The examples are intended to show topologies that allow an explanation of how to 'follow the clock' when using XDAB and VLAN.  There wasn't much thought given to making sure the optimal topology was drawn. Perhaps there should have been. Mea culpa. If the note is revised in the future then your suggestion will be incorporated as it would make for a better example.