Topic: CAB 'Link' indicator

Just listening to Scott teaching CobraNet.....
I was reminded of something that confuses lots of students.
The 'Link' led on the hardware means something completely different to the 'Link' indicator in the NWare CAB control device (taxi).
Maybe the NWare indicator could be labelled "In Control", "Controllable", or something??

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: CAB 'Link' indicator

'On Line'?

What if both were changed...  'network link' vs 'hardware link'?

Thanks,

Joe

Glad to see you were paying attention during class...

I would vote with Jason's "On Line", and add my own, "Physical Link".

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

I'm going to have to vote for Joe's "Network Link" and "Hardware Link" notations.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Athough this is an older post, it's a good start (and the same name I would have used...!).

I am currently running Nware v1.6.6a. I have wired the "link" indicators for all our CAB (CAB16i's and CAB16o') onto a main status page with the intent to monitor if any had gone offline.

Some time ago I noted that all the link indicators for the CABs had all gone out. Audio was fine throughout the project and we were still able to control the audio (RATC2). I tried disconnecting Nware, exiting Nware, then restarting Nware and connecting, but still no link lights. Later when I had the oppurtunity, I restarted the Roles running on the NIONs and the link lights came back on. This was many months ago and I haven't seen this occur again, till now...

Last week I used CobraNet Discovery to check the firmware versions for all our CABs. I let CND choose the IP's within the range I specified and was able to see the firmware versions. After I exited CND I checked the project with Nware and found that all the Link indicators on my main page had gone out again. I think this was a result of having used CobraNet Discovery...
I plan to try this again when I get back from vacation to see if it's repeatable and is for sure related to CND.

So...
Has anyone seen this before?
Is it caused by CobraNet Discovery?
Is there any way to resync or re-link the CABs so the status iss good aside from restarting the roles?

I have had a similar case with N3 & 3 - Cab 4N's. Link indicators go out and audio continues to pass but control GPIO from the Cab 4N's is lost. I wasn't connected using CND at the time. Restart of the role clears the issue. Going to build script to monitor link & bundle indicators sending email on outage.