Topic: Window contents jerking in NWare 1.4.3

I have been going nuts because the contents of the main window in NWare 1.4.3 keep on randomly jerking up and to the left.  The jerk is just for a split second and then the screen restores.  This happens randomly, but can happen several times a minute.  It also often happens when I am right clicking and trying to select from the pop-up menu.  When that happens the menu might be blank or only partly there.

The project file I have been building is not that complex, only 3 - NION N3.

I have used many of the older versions of NWare on this same machine without this problem, with vastly more complex project files (10 - NION N6, taking almost 20 minutes to deploy).

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, all critical updates.  Dell D810 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X600 video card, 1920 x 1200 on internal laptop screen, 1600 x 1200 external screen with desktop extended onto external screen.

NWare is running in a window, not full screen.  NWare window is totally within the internal laptop screen.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Re: Window contents jerking in NWare 1.4.3

I am using a Dell D830 with dual-boot XP SP2 and Vista with no problems. The install might have gone wrong somewhere along the way. I recommend uninstalling NWare, delete the NWare 1.4.3 directory, empty the Recycle Bin and reboot. Reinstall NWare.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

I uninstalled NWare 1.4.3 using Start / All Programs / NWare / Uninstall NWare 1.4.3 item and it seemed to complete correctly.  When it was done, task manager showed no sign of NWare running and Add or Remove Programs showed it as gone, but the entries in Start / All Programs / NWare / were still there.  Attempting to uninstall it again brought a message that the program was already uninstalled.

I went to the Peavey website and downloaded a fresh copy of NWare 1.4.3 just in case the other copy was corrupted.

I then emptied the Trash, shut down all other program and shut down the PC.

When I restarted the PC I installed the new copy of NWare 1.4.3 and ran it without anything else running on the PC.  When I deployed the project to the emulator, the image jerked a bunch of times at the end of the deploy.  In several minutes since it has not jerked again.  I don't know if this means the problem is solved or if it just means it will start up again as soon as I post this :>)

I was able to replicate the jerkiness you described. If I uncheck Outline Drag in User Preferences, it gets jerky. I believe it's because it takes more video processing to move a rendered graphic than an outline. Try Checking Outline Drag and see if it helps. Click Tools > User Preferences > User Interface tab > check Outline Drag > OK

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

"Try Checking Outline Drag and see if it helps."

It was already checked.

Through experimentation I have found out how to stop the jerking.  As mentioned the PC is a Dell D810 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X600 video card, 1920 x 1200 on internal laptop screen, 1600 x 1200 external screen with desktop extended onto external screen, running Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, with all critical updates.  The video driver is the most current.

Go to Display Properties | Settings | Advanced | Troubleshoot | Hardware acceleration

There are 6 possible setting ranging from None to Full.  Using the third setting solves the problem.  The description of this setting is as follows:

"Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations.  Use this setting to correct severe problems with DirectX accelerated applications."

Trying the 4th setting causes the jerking to come back.  The description of this setting is as follows:

"Disable all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations.  Use this setting to correct drawing problems."

There is also a check box to "Enable write Combining".  Unchecking this does not appear to help.

It would appear that NWare 1.4.3 has problems with DirectX, since I don't have this problem with older NWare versions or any other program.

Glad you found a fix.  I don't think I would generalize to NWare having a DirectX problem.  It appears to have a problem with your particular hardware setup.  I'm running (as I expect most people are) with all acceleration on and don't have a problem.

In any case, we'd be interested in any other reports of graphics problems with NWare.

Audioconsultant,

Are your regional and language options set to Engligh (United States)?  During some of the classes we teach internationally, we've noticed some oddities from time to time with other language characters or non-standard fonts... if that helps at all.

Thanks,

Joe

"Are your regional and language options set to Engligh (United States)?"

Yes.