Topic: Using NWare Through a Firewall

I have a situation where a dedicated control network is setup for the NIONs in a highly secure facility.  The clients LAN is connected to the NION Switch for the purpose of controlling the NION using Kiosk from any of their desktop PC's.  For security reasons the NION lan is placed outside their firewalland is accessed using VPN.  We can ping the NION's from the client LAN, access their web interface, and send telnet commands.  However, we cannot discover any of the NIONs using Nware or the Pandebug "discover" command.  The only way to use NWare or Kiosk is to connect within the dedicated NION LAN.

We have opened up the following ports on the firewall (these were found open when scanning a NION):

Any clues, I am assuming we are just missing a port?  What is the process NWare uses to discover NION's? 

Thanks,
JRG

Re: Using NWare Through a Firewall

Wrong program, try Pandad, Interactive Mode.  NWare Help files now has a white paper on how this should be used.

(FYI, port 4000 is the port that needs to be opened for Pandad to work, and of course port 80 if you want to admin the NioNodes using the web interface.)

Last edited by Fergy (2008-08-15 01:07:12)

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

That worked like a Charm.  I added the remote_link command to the XML file and put on the client PC's.

Thanks,
JRG

YEAH!!!  Isn't Pandad Interactive Mode powerful?

Hi Scott,
I don't really get the whole Pandad Interactive Mode thing.
If the remote_link command is added to pandad.cfg.xml, then the links will be opened automatically.
Isn't this more cool than Interactive Mode? What am I missing?

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

OK, isn't Pandad (Interactive or not) cool!!!

Last edited by Fergy (2008-08-15 03:03:11)