Topic: System Deployment without Nware?

Is there ANY way that it is possible to deploy a programmed system WITHOUT using full Nware. 

We need to leave our clients a way to recover their system in the case of hardware failure such as a Nion. If we send them a replacement Nion it would be great if this Nion could be programmed into the system without them having to use Nware...and hence having access to everything about how the system works, and potentially changing it.

Even if this is a tedious process, it coudl potentially be automated by a bat file...and we could then know that NO changes had been made to the system in our absence, and the client would be happy as they would have the means to recover from a failure.

We have currently password protected alot of things, however being able to manually tranfer the NWare compiled code to a Nion without Nware would be very useful.

In theory, it should be possible to replace a Nion in a multinode system, give it the same role name as the unit it replaced, and then set it to recover its compiled code from that stored on all the other nodes in the system, as I believe that each node stores a copy of all the nodes compiled code.

Wishful thinking?

Last edited by tucan (2008-08-04 04:12:36)

Re: System Deployment without Nware?

Currently, no. There is no way to do this.

However, there has been some discussion about this. Will it ever be available? I'm not sure.

Though it sure would be handy, wouldn't it?

Does anyone else think that this would be a useful thing to be able to do?

Honestly, we haven't heard a lot about this from very many people because when most install companies send out someone to fix a system, if they are installing a replacement unit, they will also have their computer with them and be readily able to just deploy the project to the system again.

Personally, I'd like to see the kind of functionality you are talking about. Just name the node the same as the one you are replacing and give it the same IP address. Then when it wakes up, the other NIONs on the network automatically deploy the project to it and the system recovers.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios