Topic: Kiosk 1.4.2 pandad problems

I am working on a large system and have just updated it all to Nware 1.4.2, including installations of Kiosk 1.4.2 on the windows XP touchpanels.

When the touchscreens boot they start 2 copies of Kiosk, one logging in to a MASTER project, and one a SLAVE project.

In the few times I have tried this on the bench by rebooting the touchscreens I have found occasions that Kiosk hangs while starting up, several times showing an error message, and once a standard windows message saying a pandad problem has been encountered.

In all the hundreds of times I have done this with previous versions of NWare and Kiosk I have never seen any problem with Kiosk logging on automatically to a nion system. even on these same touchscreen machines i have never had a problem, so there is no issue with the setup of the touchscreens.

Has anybody else seen problems with Kiosk 1.4.2 connecting/logging on?
Can I just go back to my super reliable Kiosk 1.2.6 when running an Nware 1.4.2 system?

Re: Kiosk 1.4.2 pandad problems

It is not possible to mix versions between the NION and Kiosk.

I tried using Kiosk 1.2.6 with a NION running 1.4.1 Firmware. The project was made and deployed with NWare 1.4.2.

The controls do exist in the correct place in Kiosk, however, you can not see them. i.e. the controls are "transparent". So, while it would work... it is very impractical to actually use unless you want the whole screen to be one button.

Anyhow, if you like 1.2.6 there shouldn't be anything stopping you from going ahead and using it. However, you will always need to make sure that you are using the correct version of software on your computer that matches the same version of firmware on the NION you are working with.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Looking in to this more, Kiosks failure to connect  seems to occur most when I reboot all 3 touchpanels simultaneously. Its as if the Nion/Conman 1.4.2 project can only support one or two Kiosks connecting at a time. If I try three at the same  time I am now expecting a problem.

I find this surprising, as I did this many many times with 1.2.4 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 systems and NEVER saw this problem, even with 6 toushcreens rebooting at the same time.

I know I can workaroud this, but i wonder is this a pointer to another problem?

The MediaMatrix Nion Seminar this last May was taught using 1.4.2, and we had 16 instances of Kiosk connect to a single NioNode.  Students in the class were learning how Kiosk works.  Many were trying to log in at the same time, with no apparent problems.  Of course, they could have been having problems, and it just looked like they were still learning how the logging process is done, so this could have masked the many at one time problem.  But it didn't seem to be any more of a problem to the class then when we have done this with 1.2.6 and earlier version.

If you reboot 2 units, do you have the same problems, is it just when three at a time log that it fails?  Keep us informed on your progress.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.