Topic: NWare 1.4.2

1.4.2 is official, and available on public website.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Re: NWare 1.4.2

WooHoo!

FYI Online help points to an older version of the Knowledge CentRE than is in NWare.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Hi all,

The version on the website is now up-to-date. :-)

Andy.

Hi Andy, I notice the page that talks about Kiosk command line switches is still there. If I'm not mistaken, this became incorrect at 1.2.x and spoils otherwise great Kiosk documentation. If I'm wrong: my apologies.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Hi again Andy, also just noticed that the main MM page still says 1.4.1 under Software Updates. This may not be your gig...
Hopefully the mythical new website will actually list Nion products!!

- George Bernard Shaw

My bad, I will have it changed on Tuesday, after our Memorial Day holiday.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Hi,

I tested out the command line parameters that I describe in the help:

http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc/3837.htm

...and the use of a personality file:

http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc/3839.htm

...with NWare 1.4.2.

If you find something is not working as described, please let me know.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I tried the command lines, and they didn't seem to work for me; I guess I didn't try too hard based on Release notes for 1.2.0

Added optional XML based configuration for running NWare in Kiosk mode.
The old command line options have been removed.

Will try again tomorrow.

Also, it's taken a little while to figure out where to put the personality file: it seems that it needs to be in the "Start in" location specified in the shortcut. Is this correct?

Anyway, it's great having Help files to quibble about!! smile
I guess this should really be in the Documentation space.

Last edited by phils (2008-05-27 13:08:40)

- George Bernard Shaw

Hi,

Release 1.2 was a couple of years before my time. ;-)

I tried things out from scratch when I wrote the Kiosk documentation for 1.4.2.

What I found is that the shortcut settings need to go in the "Target" box, rather than "Start in" on the shortcut properties.

This runs the full version of NWare in Kiosk mode with a config file called "andy.xml":

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2 rc 2\NWare.exe"  /personality=nware_kiosk andy.xml

If, on the other hand, you're using the special Kiosk version of NWare, the shortcut looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare Kiosk 1.4.2 rc 2\NWare.exe" andy.xml

Andy.

For those experiencing slow downloads of 1.4.2 from peavey.com, feel free to download it from here:

http://www.peaveyoxford.com/NWare_1.4.2.msi

and Kiosk:
http://www.peaveyoxford.com/NWare_1.4.2_kiosk.msi

I can't guarantee these will be here forever...

aspender wrote:

Hi,

Release 1.2 was a couple of years before my time. ;-)

I tried things out from scratch when I wrote the Kiosk documentation for 1.4.2.

What I found is that the shortcut settings need to go in the "Target" box, rather than "Start in" on the shortcut properties.

This runs the full version of NWare in Kiosk mode with a config file called "andy.xml":

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2 rc 2\NWare.exe"  /personality=nware_kiosk andy.xml

If, on the other hand, you're using the special Kiosk version of NWare, the shortcut looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare Kiosk 1.4.2 rc 2\NWare.exe" andy.xml

Andy.

ahhh... this clarifies what is written in the Kiosk document, Andy. I'll have a few suggestions for that after infoComm08.

Thanks for discussing this in the forum rather than just doing it in email!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios