Topic: CM-1 not present

I have been re-programming this system in Las Vegas. The programming itself has gone well but we have never been able to figure the source of the following error. We are still working on possibilities but I wonder if anyone could tell me what this means exactly. May help me with where to go next.

This is an excert from the log file.
3/14/2008 21:18:32    4701    fault    piond/role_manager    role fault: role restart failed: CM-1 : Not present
3/14/2008 21:18:32    4700    fault    piond/fault_policy    more than one error in less than one minute; stopping engine
3/14/2008 21:18:32    4699    fault    piond/sound_engine    exception during engine start: CM-1 : Not present
3/14/2008 21:18:32    4698    note    project/RATC2_service    started on port 1632
3/14/2008 21:17:48    4697    error    piond/cm1    cm1 not detected : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:48    4696    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:48    4695    note    piond/role_manager    restarting role : Flamingo BGM 01-24-08 ISD/NioNode1/YAoLf6SnIItxzH10VZeL+TFbXaO/AQyPIuXNW0HzoCoT1Nai1OUuVgW
3/14/2008 21:17:47    4694    error    piond/cm1    poke/peek driver exception : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:47    4693    error    piond/cm1    poke aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4692    error    project    cab peek error : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4691    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4690    error    project    cab shutdown error : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4689    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4688    error    project    cab peek error : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4687    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4686    error    project    cab shutdown error : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4685    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4684    error    project    cab peek error : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:45    4683    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4682    error    piond/cm1    mute assertion failed: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4681    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4680    error    piond/cm1    poke aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4679    error    piond/cm1    poke/peek driver exception : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4678    error    project    cab poke error : /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4677    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4676    note    piond/mute    muted: menu command
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4675    error    piond/fault_policy    restarting audio engine
3/14/2008 21:17:44    4674    error    piond/cm1    peek aborted after 5 tries: /dev/pion/cm10: timeout waiting for HF2 to go high

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

Re: CM-1 not present

Mike-

All those "peek" and "poke" errors are indicators of a bad CM-1 module.

The system can see the module, and I assume you are using Cobranet. But as the NION tries to read and write from the CM-1 module it is "Peeking" and "Poking" and apparently HF2 never goes high to let the NION "Peek" and "Poke" at the CM-1 module willy-nilly. Thus, this seems to be an issue with the CM-1 module.

I suggest you try building an extremely simple project file to load on this NION only that does not involve the use of Cobranet at all. A project file as simple as just dropping a NioNode on the page configured for no card slots and no Cobranet will work just fine.

If you hit the "Next" button from the typical status page of the NION, it should switch to the "CM-1 Status" page. What does this page tell you?

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

We had similar issue with NX-32 just rolled out. After internal inspection of the NX we found loose ribbon cable connecting CM-1 card to the main board, reseated cable, reboot and the system has been working fine. This may have occured durring shipping???????

I have had that happen.  A reseat of the cable brought the CM-1 back to life.  And I know that it was tested and passed CobraNet audio before shipping from our factory.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

OK guys I think we got it. The "Managed Switch" appears to have been not so managed. It has now run for 12 days with no errors...........(*&%*%*&^!!!.... it's always the simple stuff.

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

Thanks for the advice

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

Mike,

Is there is new line of switches that we have been hearing about that are considered a "managed" switch, but has NO user managable features.  They just set it up in a "standard" configuration.  This standard config greatly limits the broadcasts and multicasts, which will have great impact on CobraNet.

I have heard of this problem with a Linksys 4100 switch.  Is this what your problem relates to, or was it simply someone setting up a regular managed switch incorrectly?

Has anyone else on the forum run across these unmanagable--managed switch?

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

The switch is an HP (2160??) It was set up incorrectly. We discovered it when we were adding some cobranet outputs and were looking at where on the switch we could wire in. We called the guy that installed the system to get the password for the switch and he said that it did not have to be set up to separate the eithernet from the cobranet. hmmmmm..... interesting.

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

Could you be more specific about the incorrect switch settings? I am still having similar errors from one of my Nions and am quite interested in what happened in your case.

I do like that part about separating Ethernet from Cobranet.....

Mike, like jvalenzuela i am also very interested about the specifics of the incorrect switch configuration of this procurve. Please reveal.

All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

I learned a long time ago to keep you cobranet and eithnet separated. I have always accomplished this using separate hardware as apposed to using managed switches. This situation would mark the first time I have worked on system that used a managed switch. To fix the problem in this system we actually installed a small 8 port switch to handle the eithernet and left the cobranet on the managed switch. It has now been almost 4 weeks without an error of any type. The only thing that has shown up in the remote log is the users signing into Kiosk. I did not do the original install so I did not have access to the switch and I could not change the settings or see what they were. I checked it by plugging a network cable into the cobranet side of the switch and pinging an IP address on the eithernet side. After this I plan to always do it the way I have in the past. Separate the hardware. And I also have to tell you I have always used a 16 port, $60 Linksys switch. Nothing fancy, and I have never had any problems. I have one running in Baltimore for ESPN that has been running problrm free for 3 years.

Keep it Simple, It's only cool if it works....

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

A couple of thoughts...

First Cobranet *IS* Ethernet. You cannot separate Cobranet and Ethernet. If you did, Ethernet switches wouldn't forward your Cobranet frames, the Ethernet interface in your CM1/CM2 would be useless and your system would do little more than generate heat. I know it may be just a semantic issue, but it is an important concept.

What you probably mean is isolating Cobranet from all other traffic, which is usually a Good Idea(TM) for both sides of the fence. This can be done in many different ways. Currently it is very popular to use a completely distinct physical network(ie dedicated switches) to accomplish this. While functional, I think that as we progress down the IT integration highway, this will become less and less practical for reasons we can talk about later. Granted it is cool if it works, but it is even cooler if it works *AND* I didn't have to spend $$$$ on a completely duplicate network infrastructure. On larger projects where Cobranet really shines, that dedicated network is no small expense.

From what it sounds like, the installer of the original managed switch didn't set it up at all, meaning there was no separation.

ya, okay

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

I see this trend too (seperating the hardware).  There are advantages and disadvantages.  One advantage to the seperation might be that if one network goes down the other doesn't - but how practical is that really?

jvalenzuela wrote:

Granted it is cool if it works, but it is even cooler if it works *AND* I didn't have to spend $$$$ on a completely duplicate network infrastructure.

I agree with you Jason but it's hard to see the value when we're only talking about an extra $60.  So enter the reliability standpoint...  Use the savings from purchasing 2+ networks and roll it into one whos health can be monitored!  ...or just have a bunch of $60 switches prepackaged in FedEx mailers in case one fails.

Thanks,

Joe

I disagree with the argument that more hardware used in an unrelated fashion results in increased reliability. If you have a device with a MTBF of X, two devices now have a MTBF of X/2. If I want true reliability, I'll get switches with redundant, hot swappable power supplies/switching engines and use STP/RSTP with redundant links.

As for $60 switches, IMHO if I put all my eggs in one basket, I buy a nice basket(of which the switch is only one part). I've had problems w/ cheap network hardware(including HP Procurves for some reason), now I don't gamble. For the troubleshooting features alone, I think a decent managed network is well worth the investment.

Ok, Away from the "great switch debate" for a moment:) and back to Mike's original post with the Log extract from the Nion. Mike i see there is a lot of Cab errors in there, What type of cab's are being used in this project and how many? Also how many bundles and what type are being Transmitted and Received between the Nion in question and Cab's?

I know you've stated the problem has disappeared once you separated the Traffic to dedicated switches, but I'm interested to know why the CM1 was crashing in this manner in the first instance. I know it's not a good policy to have a "Mixed Network" on one Logical Lan,however the Network could still be suitable for CobraNet depending on the volume of Data and CobraNet traffic being consumed typically. The HP Procurve being used i think is a 2610? When this switch was being used for all traffic(unmanaged state) how many Cobranet Interfaces where attached? and how many "Other" Ethernet Interfaces where connected?

It is conceivable the Network may have been "Bottlenecking" if you are using a lot of Multicast Bundles and there is variable high volumes of Data Traffic swamping the Network and CPU resources. Causing a contention issue so to speak.

Do you know if this was the case? Would the CM1 crash when there was High Traffic activity on the Control side of things? Maybe during file transfers for instance?

Can you confirm that the switch was/is set to it's "Default" setting i.e. one Default Vlan?

Is this the only switch in the system? (apart from the 8-Port you have now put in).

Is this a one Nionode system?

All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

The system does have an extremely high volume of traffic. 2 nionodes which are almost totally full on the transmit side going out to 20 or so Crown USP3 cards and 2 CAB4ns plus a couple of channels to a set of BSS Londons. It is a mess we are still trying to sort through. I am looking now at pulling all of the USP3 cards and installing a a couple of CAB 16os because all the amps are in the same rack.
The system was also originally installed with 2 HP switches and 2 back-up N3s. In my opinion it was way overkill for a BGM system. When the system was faulting it would take out both the primary and the back-up so it didn't do any good anyway.

Mike
Abacus Control Solutions

Did you get the Cobranet and Nion control networks separated, physically or otherwise? From what I understand from your previous posts this was not the case. If you have, is the system stable now? You're proposed CAB replacement will actually increase the network traffic handled by the CM-1s.

Could you explain the 'backup' system?

As for using Cobranet in that fashion being overkill, if we for the moment overlook the network problem(I know, hard to do at the moment), and even if Cobranet isn't providing long distance transport, it GREATLY simplifies the physical rack wiring. I usually shoot for the same design method becase as the equipment is usually a little more expensive, it's cheaper in the end when you take into account the labor to terminate and test the equivalent amount of analog wiring, say nothing of when the client wants to start changing things. Good arguments for both methods...

Jason-

Not to speak for Mike, but if this is the project I am thinking of, they (the organization that put it in, not Mike or the company that he works for) put all the NIONs in one project rather than separating the "primary" system from the "backup" system with separate projects. That is, they had redundant processing cores with all the Cobranet I/O set to switch from one set of DSP to the the other. The consequence of what they did is that if something went wrong with anything in the "primary" part of the system, the entire project (both "primary" and "backup" sections) would go offline. This is quite opposed to the way this type of system should be done, with separate projects for "primary" and "backup" and project link devices to keep both projects current with one another.

I also agree with you, Jason, in that the simplification of rack wiring by using Cobranet to the amplifiers should not go unnoticed. I didn't realize how much easier it was to build this type of system until I actually started doing it. I mean, it's only a couple wires per amp... but it really is faster and easier... especially when you need to start reconfiguring things half way through building the project... but that never happens to anyone here...  smile

(edited for clarification of the way the original system was set up)

Last edited by JoshM (2008-05-28 14:37:43)

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Ok, I wasn't sure what was meant by 'backup'. It seems that an entire Nion system was designed(or rather misdesigned) to backup a mirrored system. I was (incorrectly) thinking along the lines of the primary and secondary Cobranet connections found on various Cobranet interfaces. Of course if the CM-1 itself crashes, which seems to be the case, the secondary connection isn't going to do much good.

In light of all the various reasons to use networked vs analog audio, I think by far the best argument for networked audio is the vastly superior blinkenlights found on heavily computerized systems. For those unfamiliar with the term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights

Mike Dirks wrote:

The system does have an extremely high volume of traffic. 2 nionodes which are almost totally full on the transmit side going out to 20 or so Crown USP3 cards and 2 CAB4ns plus a couple of channels to a set of BSS Londons.

One thing I haven't seen anyone address here is the Cobranet configuration in the NIONs. I'll assume the CM-1 configuration is advanced mode in both NIONs from the looks of things. If the CM-1 is in advanced mode, it is absolutely mandatory that the value in field labeled "Num Chan"  match the number of channels in the bundle. If the value is left at the default value of 8, the CM-1 will transmit all 8 channels. If the bundle is only using 2 channels for audio, the CM-1 will transmit the 2 channels of audio plus 6 channels of null data. If this is overlooked, the CM-1 will be easily overwhelmed if there are more than 4 bundles transmitted. There just aren't enough processor cycles or memory to keep up. How many multicast bundles are in use? The limit is 4 on any single network. Excessive multicast traffic will bring a CM-1 to its knees in a hurry.

Regarding the log entries: The peek/poke errors and CAB errors are consistent with a CM-1 that is overwhelmed or broken. I tend to think the former. What is reported in the log if the CM-1 is disconnected from the network? Do the errors cease? Are the errors present when all bundle numbers are set to 0? How many bundles can be turned on before getting errors? Lots of things to look at before condemning the network.

Last edited by ivorr (2008-05-28 16:34:15)

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

Mike, are the Cab4n's Transmitting Audio at all? or are they only Receiving?

Ivorr's point about the "Number of Channels" column is a good point within the Advanced Sub channel mapping Table.
Are both Nion's Transmitting/receiving the same amount of bundles? If not can you confirm that the Nion crashing is the"busier"of the 2 in terms of Bundle quantity and Type(uni or multicast).

Which node on the Network is the Conductor?
Is there any Serial Bridging going on?
Is one nion controlling both Cab's?(device placement)
Is there any Multicast Traffic?
If so can you use Multi-unicast bundles instead? (up to 4 copies)

These questions may have a bearing on what's going on, for example one of the Nion's maybe Transmitting/Receiving more Bundles than the other, is the conductor for the Network,controlling both Cab's and bridging serial data as well......

If this is the case then you need to spread the workload between the nodes to free up CM1 Processing cycles and Memory.Maybe even elect a Cab4n as the Network Conductor by adjusting the Conductor Priority variable, depending on it's Utilization.

Is there/was there any signs of the system crashing? Errors being logged in Disco? within the nionode device(s)?

Mike,

I'd like to back up a bit on this problem and take it in steps. In the initial post with the log, the CobraNet module appears completely unresponsive.
Question: What did you have to do to get the CM-1 back up and running?  Did a hard reset (or what) restore the functional state?
Did a watchdog in the CAB reset the card (does a CAB have a watchdog??).

Some of the prior posts are theorizing that it could be an issue with the CM-1 being configured such that the processor is overloaded and ceasing to function. This may be, but is probably not, the case. If this were true then the CM-1 would not work properly after separating the CobraNet and data networks.

And you said that there is a lot of CobraNet traffic on the net. This, in and of itself is unimportant. The important point, with this type of failure, is how much traffic is appearing at the Ethernet port of the failing device. The aggregate traffic should be of no concern in this type of failure on a switched network.

As of now, this sounds like a case of the Etnernet port on the CM-1 being inundated with too much traffic generated by data devices.
There are known cases where a CM-1 can experience a stack overflow and become unresponsive in the presence of massive Ethernet traffic.
Furthermore, there are almost certainly no data devices on the network that would or should 'know' about the CobraNet device and then  be able to specifically address it with any packets. So this excess data traffic is then almost certainly multicast or broadcast traffic. It would be easy enough to verify this. Run Ethereal or Wireshark on any PC connected to the network and capture the traffic. All multi/broadcast traffic will appear at the PC as it will appear at all other nodes.
Massive amounts of multicast traffic is abnormal on a properly configured data network. So look at the trace and figure out where the bad traffic is coming from and see if it can be corrected. This traffic is also not healthy for the now separated data network and should be corrected if possible. If it can be corrected you may be able to go back to a shared net. But if doing so, and considering that you have managed switches, I would suggest logically separating the traffic using VLANs.

BTW, multicast or broadcast traffic can be identified in the trace by looking at the least significant bit of the most significant byte of the destination address. If the bit == 0 then it is unicast, if it == 1 then it is multicast. If the whole address = 0xffffffff then it is the broadcast flavor of multicast.

Please look into the above issues and reply to us with what you find.

Thanks

Nihilism is best done by professionals

By the way, I'd like to introduce Steve Gray who posted the above.  Some of you may have known Steve as the CobraNet expert with Cirrus Logic.  Steve is now a Peavey employee working out of our Boulder, Colorado location.  I expect Steve will be a tremendous asset to the MediaMatrix community and please join me in welcoming him here!

Welcome, Steve!!

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw