Topic: "Improved CAB polling" in 1.4.x

We have a number of sites where CAB4n 'regularly' drop off line (lose LINK - in NWare; not to switch, or on the front panel of the CAB...but that's another topic for the Documentation forum). CobraNet audio continues, but control is lost.
Are the improvements in 1.4 likely to help?
I know this is one of those vague questions roll, so if I receive a flood of follow-up questions that help solve the problem, that would be fine.
Thanks

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: "Improved CAB polling" in 1.4.x

The changes to the CAB polling /should/ help with your problem. I reviewed how the pooling was done when I added the subchannel mapping, and I realised it could be done a lot better. Now instead of doing a 'burst' of pooling for every cabs I spread the pooling over the whole time slice to generate a 'flatter' network traffic profile. Also the Cab4N specifically now gets/sets the parameters in two 'groups' : the 'essential' group that is pooled with every cycle, and the 'not essential' (like rate of rs485 and such 'one time' settings) that are pooled in a round robin manner. This reduces significantly the size of the packets the cab has to 'digest'.

However, I could not reproduce the droppout as your guys are experiencing, so even if these changes were made with that problem in mind, I had no way to test it in real life...

So you tell me ! Works better ? big_smile

Thanks Michel, sounds like it's at least worth encouraging our customers to give it a go.

By the way, I notice that you use polling and pooling interchangeably: is this tech-speak I don't understand; or is right ring-finger a bit independent (assuming you're on a QWERTY keyboard)? smile

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Syntax Error: It's just general lack-of-caffeine disorder, It usually shows itself by various trouble of the comportment before about 16:00 in most programmers ;-)

I have the same problem, but with with version 1.4.1.
The CAB´s lose their link (the frontpanel shows the ID), but audio continues. A restart doesn`t solve the problem, only a power cycle helps.
I didn`t noitice this with version 1.2.6.

Thanks,
Gerald

Look at James Kennedy's respond here, it may be your answer.

http://peaveyoxford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=189

And then look and respond to my new post there as well.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Me too, my CAB4n usually dropped off, NWare firmware is 1.4.1, and I got some strange status,as follow:

CAB4n running and everything OK, after 1 or 2 days, I found CAB4n's bundle in NWare keep flashing, and CAB4n front panel show me TX error. Then the sound became bad, in Nio Node there are not TX error and RX error LED flash, but the error count increased fast. So I have to restart CAB4n, after that it will be OK.

love peace and music
Tibet is one part of China!!!

I have the error codes from Wei Dong.
2091- Buffer exhausted. Network is too busy for the device to transmit its data.
3997696 - Rx quiet. Dropped packets
61 - Same as 3997696
2228226 - beat packet flood
4130,4136 - Flash Failure

I can see the network is misbehaving but the flash failure mystifies me. Several CAB4n's with CM-2 modules are reporting it. Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited by ivorr (2008-04-04 20:47:18)

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

I´m working on a solution for the Cab polling problem. I have a project with one Nion and 9 Cab`s. The Cab´s loose their link after a few hours. Audio still works, but control is lost. I had this problem with 1.2.6, 1.4.0 and also 1.4.1.

The solutions from James Kennedy doesn`t work for me, because I have only one Nion installed!
Thanks,
Gerald

PS: I had a project where 6 Cab`s worked on a Nion without this problem.