Topic: PASHA Input kills bootup!

I use a heartbeat pulse using a single PASHA serial message from my show controller to determine that the NION system is alive and well.  When I set the polling rate to 5 seconds the NION will not boot properly...it hangs at the BOOT NORMAL line prior to the IDE line. If I slow the serial message rate to once every 30 seconds the problem goes away.

Once the unit is booted, the faster polling rate poses no problems.

I would really like to be able to poll more frequently than once in 30 seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks!

Dave

Re: PASHA Input kills bootup!

It can't work, when the machine boots it activates the NION bootloader: that waits for a command prompt for... 5 seconds and then continues on booting, eventualy handing over the port to the application. If you send stuff on the serial port during the bootloader prompt, it will interrupt the boot.
Even with the 30 seconds pool time, there is still a 5 seconds window where that problem would occur anyway, for the same reason...

Michel, this is only the case for the RS232 port, correct?  If so, a workaround is to use the other serial port.

Uh, is the boot loader treating the serial port as a console redirect at that point? If so, that does seem weird on a application such as the Nion.

It's the other way around; it's the console that is used as a serial port by the application big_smile

cwa : yes, the other serial port has nothing to do with the console...

So...the other port (COM1) is labeled RS-485/RS-422...does it mind that we give it an RS-232 signal?

I know that it works, because I have done it...but what I need to know is if it is electronically correct. My Japanese clients have already complained because we used the COM1 (Rear) port for RS232 (before I knew to disable to console config using the web interface), since the software labels it as RS-485/RS-422. They are very afraid of things that are not used as directed by the manufacturer.

If RS-232 is acceptable usage for this port it should be labeled as such...!

Thanks!

DR

Thanks!

Dave

When A NION starts, the boot loader takes a few milliseconds to wake up enough to redirect the RS232 port for PASHA. If a serial message hits the NION's RS232 port just as it powers up, it's like hitting the DEL key on your PC when you turn it on. You end up in the BIOS.

The RS422/485 selection box in NIONs Serial tab is ignored when the RS232 port is used. It just needs to be relabeled. The RS485-422 port on NION is not compatible with RS232 without a converter. The same goes for the RS232 port, It needs a converter to be able to talk to RS422/485. You could try to hook it up without a converter but it's definitely not supported or recommended.

I'd rather see you use RATC2 over ethernet to check the status of the NIONs. That way you know the networking part of the NION works too. If you must use serial and PASHA, get a decent RS422/485 converter or RS422/485 I/O card for the control computer and use the 422/485 port of the NION.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

So...what I am getting is that the RS232 port is unusable for functions like a status heartbeat. Unfortunately, there are a huge number of legacy installations I support that use the RS232 port in this manner with MediaMatrix frames. I don't think it is reasonable to ask these installations to change their choice in show control equipment, or buy extra gear to make up for a feature that has gone bad in the new product.

There ought to be a way to allow the serial port to be ignored on boot. If there is an application that needs the serial port, then perhaps it can be toggled with the web interface (in fact I thought we were already doing that...)

Sorry to rant, but it seems that the unit should be fixed to operate in an appropriate manner (i.e. no hidden gotchas like this) rather than saddling users with a pile of workarounds.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Dave

From what I've read so far, am I right in assuming the show control is incapable of communicating via RS422/485?

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

Other vendors show control equipment aside... The Peavey PageMatrix paging controller itself only talks RS232 to the Nion and legacy mainframe systems.

In this case, anybody making a page, selecting a zone, or using a "last button breakaway" during the NION boot cycle will cause the NION to hang.

Since all we (users) are every using that port for is to send and receive PASHA strings, wouldn't it make sense to have the NION ignore PASHA prefixed/formatted (S, G, L, ect) strings during the boot? (Good idea, Joe)

The release notes for NWare 1.4.2 indicate that this feature has been addressed.

I just happened to have n3 on my bench with 232 connected to my Com port (but nothing happening - HyperTerminal closed), and booting hung at :Boot Mode: Normal" several times.
Unplugged 232 lead, and all good.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw