Topic: Kiosk question

Hi All!

I know this is probably the wrong place to post such a question but I've browsed through relevant help files and documentation but to no avail. roll

Is it possible to use the Kiosk client over a VPN router/network?  I've been asked by customer if it is at all possible?

If so, which port numbers should be forwarded?

Cheers

Lee

Re: Kiosk question

Lee, this question is all about this forum....

You would use Pandad Interactive Mode.

An instruction document on Pandad is just about ready to be posted.  I'm asking a few others to look it over first, but it should be up no later then the middle of next week.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Hi Fergy,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my peepers open.

Cheers

Lee

Regarding the posting here, I've moved this to the Help!/Bugs/Feature Requests forum.  The intent for this is specific feedback about the existing (admittedly mostly non-existenting) documentation.

You must clearly define the term 'VPN router/network'. A network can consist of a single switch, in which case Kiosk should work just fine out of the box. As for VPN, you need VPN endpoints, which many home/consumer routers are not. They pass the IP frames containing the VPN information, but that's it. If your NioNode network has a VPN endpoint attached to it, which also has access to the network from which you wish to connect from, you will most likely need to modify the pandad configuration file on the Kiosk host in order that it can 'find' the NioNodes as the IP multicast discovery will not work across routers. If you wish to use the Internet, you should make sure you have a static public IP available for this VPN endpoint.

In most cases using a VPN tunnel will not require ports to be forwarded. IIRC pandad uses TCP port 4000, but if you have a correctly configured tunnel, it should pass IP traffic regardless of the Layer 4 payload.

In short, yes it is possible given the correct hardware and network resources.

Thanks Jason,

I guess I can read up on the points you covered over the weekend in relation to their requirements. 

Cheers cool

Lee