Topic: FRONT LCD SHOWS FIRMWARE VERSION : 0

What would be the most practical way to recover from this problem ? How do I load firmware in this unit, since it does not show up under the usual procedure. Appreciate all help. Rgds.

Re: FRONT LCD SHOWS FIRMWARE VERSION : 0

Sounds like your flash has been corrupted somehow.  You could try the procedure here:

and see if you can then connect to it.  If not, you need to get a replacement programmed CompactFlash.

Would it perhaps be easier to make an image available somewhere for download, perhaps the downloads.peavey.com/mm ? I assume one could then just dd it directly onto a new CF and then update to whatever version of firmware. Probably easier/quicker/cheaper than overnighting a new card.

If you have a working NION on site, make an image of the CF using a program like DiskImage. It's available here: http://www.dubaron.com/diskimage/. I use a standard USB 14 in 1 flash reader with good results. It isn't speedy but it's much faster than downloading a 256MB image.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

1)Any idea why the flash should get corrupted,particularly out of a just unpacked Nion unit ??

2)What other causes could lead to CF corruption during installation or operation of the Nions.

Appreciate your advice.

Rgds.

Flash memory does has a limited amount of write cycles that it can handle, however this number is quite high and I would not expect it to be an issue with Nions yet, much less a brand new one.

As far as other factors that could lead to a corrupt flash, hey it's a computer, what could go wrong?