Topic: Forum going public

Hi Charles,
I agree that there is a lot of useful info on the forum, however at this end of the world, we're a bit concerned that the bulk of the projects under discussion are at a level way beyond what our users are doing. Hopefully people won't end up more confused, and digging themselves deeper holes. This may just be my age showing!
I guess this decision was well thought about, and the announcement will have some caveats attached.

Just my humble opion.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Forum going public

Phil, you have a good and valid point, sometimes I feel intimidated by the posts here.

But the goal is to allow everyone to learn from the experts, and also to feel comfortable enough to ask simple questions.  This will be a tough thing to do, and it will take some time to reach this balance, to make those new programmers feel welcome enough to ask their questions.  But it must be done to help spread the word of just what Nion can do, and how it is done.

Anyone will be able to read the posts, and so learn how MediaMatrix products work.  But to post, they must be a registered users.  To keep the silly questions (the “noise"  from Charles' post in the announcement topic) to a minimum, only MediaMatrix rep firms and distributors, dealers, and end users who have attended a Nion/NWare seminar will be allowed to register and post.  Consultants will be the only group that can register without attending a class (obviously, some proof that they are consultants will be required).

Classes are held around the world.  In fact, Phil is teaching a class next week in his part of the world.  Within the next six months, we hope to have an on-line course available that will teach the basics.

I think we have all learned a great deal from each other, I know I have.  I look forward to this next stage of our Forum.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Hi Scott, I'm glad you feel intimidated sometimes - me too.
I'll be more comfortable asking "simple" questions!

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion about what to do about this. However, I think we came to an agreement that this is the best way to approach this. I have been really impressed with the level of discussion that we have been having in these forums and I didn't want to see that devolve into the uselessness that I have seen many online forums become.

I'd like to thank everyone who participates here because without you, there wouldn't be anything here. Thanks for keeping the signal to noise ratio on the good end of the spectrum!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios